AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie question, so my apologies. How do you set up a HTPC w/ its tv program guide, recording, etc., to work w/ a DirecTV receiver? Do you have to manually change channels w/ the DirecTV remote? I'm trying to figure out how to hook them together to allow for the HTPC's program guide to search the DirecTV line-up, record, etc. If HTPC's take coax in, & so does my sat. receiver, not sure how to even hook the two together? Thanks

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
 www.sage.tv offers this, well you have to get a IR controller to change the channels on directv. It also builds its own guide that uses the same channels and info that you get from directv.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks stgdz. Could you explain the connection setup b/w the HTPC & the sat receiver box? Only s-video out or composite on the sat box. I assume I need tuner card w/ s-video in?

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
Depending on your DTV reciever, you can also use serial control to have SageTV change channels on the box, from what I've heard it's a much quicker/more robust method.

S-Video will give you the best PQ. You'll need a WinTV PVR 250 or similar to use SageTV, both are well worth it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Stanger89. My plan is to go w/ a new PC pre-loaded w/ Media Center 2004 & upgrade the system w/ an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro, so I should be good to go w/ a tuner card. Due to my limited knowledge w/ HTPC's, will the MCE (media center edition) software provide a program guide and the ability to hook up a sat receiver into it, to capture and record programs from DirecTV? Or am I missing something here. Do I need anything else? Or do I need everything different from what I stated above?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks Stanger89. My plan is to go w/ a new PC pre-loaded w/ Media Center 2004 & upgrade the system w/ an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro, so I should be good to go w/ a tuner card. Due to my limited knowledge w/ HTPC's, will the MCE (media center edition) software provide a program guide and the ability to hook up a sat receiver into it, to capture and record programs from DirecTV? Or am I missing something here. Do I need anything else? Or do I need everything different from what I stated above?

Forget about SageTV if you want an ATI AIW, Sage uses hardware encoding capture cards only. There are other solutions that will use an ATI AIW, but I can't imagine ever buying an AIW ever again now that I know the difference between a hardware and software encoding capture card.

Besides, I think you'll find that a plain non-AIW Radeon 9800 Pro (if you really need that much power for an HTPC, which you probably don't) + a Hauppage PVR-250 is elss than the AIW 9800 Pro, for a far better combination. IMO, All-In-Wonders are nothing more than a gimmick.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by epf55
Your system will probably come with a tuner card. You don't need the AIW. MCE 2004 will provide a program guide and the ability to hook up your sat receiver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.