AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone has used the monoprice HDMI to CAT5e extenders for HTPC usage?

My plan is to use my existing daily PC and use it as a HTPC as well, but it is about 25 feet from my TV. Both the PC and 50" plasma are in the basement, with a drop ceiling so I could easily run CAT5e which I have lots of.

I will be using the HTPC for blu ray playback and DVR functions inside of W7 media center.

It would be more cost efficient for me to run these extenders than to buy 1 30 foot HDMI in wall cable. Any input is appreciated.

Justin

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ran a monoprice 50' HDMI cable and used monoprice remote extender and ran it to my plasma for about $75, works great.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
I agree. I would just bite the bullet and get the longer hdmi cable. I had mine running through a 30', 15' and 3' all connected together. I was sure it wasn't going to work especially going through all those connections... but it did.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlachowin /forum/post/16942036

I will do a more accurate measurement tonight, but how should I go about doing it?

Measure ceiling, plus wall and add 10%? I would like to go with just a HDMI cable.

Use string. Pull some string where you'd pull the wire, then measure it.

If you're not too picky about name brands, you can get a 50ft cable for less than $30 .

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a the following run and it works fine:

HTPC to Onkyo 6' cable

Onkyo to Wall 3' cable

Inside Wall to Inside Wall (where TV is) 50' cable

Wall to Sharp 52" lcd 3' cable

All my cables from Monoprice (eBuyHD now) with the biggest gauge possible

PJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.