AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a CPU/MB/memory upgrade of the HTPC, keeping all the rest (maybe adding an SDI input card :) ). Have changed peripherals and memory before, but never the CPU or MB.

Somehow, I don't think its as simple as popping them in and then fielding requests for drivers. Where can I get info instructing me in how to do this? Is it for mere mortals?

btw, when the new sheriff comes to town, as we know he might do, what might I want to be packing? ;)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
You may want to check out Tom's Hardware Guide, they should have some nice guides that show you how to upgrade a PC.

http://www.tomshardware.com/

Good luck :)

Gertjan

·
Registered
208 Posts
Actually, for most if not all plug-and-play devices it is as simple as popping the sucker in and installing the drivers. You probably should not encounter any problems unless the device(s) is not well supported under your OS.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys.

I checked out Tom's Hardware. Good site and informative, but too many choices! I think I better wait for the next iteration of "Best in Class" to help me sort out tualatin's, palominos, P-4's and T-birds.

Sounds like I can do it.

Xcel, in the last best of class, P-4's didn't seem to be worth the money and tualatin's and palominos were barely on the radar screen. Any comment on where the current high-end best of class would now fall for CPU/MB/mem?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
In my opinion it would be CPU: Athlon XP, and probably an Abit KT7a raid or KG7 raid (with KG7 using DDR as opposed to SDR memory for the KT7a).

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Paul, but you're going over my head. Why raid?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.