AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the phase of developing a custom made HTPC.

One of the features I'd like to enable, is dual audio zones.

1) one audio output will connect to an external amplifier (100W) connected to a 2 way stereo speakers (100W)

2) one audio output will connect to the TV home theater system 5+1

User selectable zones within the pc, possibly including both zones at the same time

What would you suggest?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If your advise will be selecting some sound cards, possibly a sound card that will not be affected from electric interference from the PC itself (very tough task!)

·
Registered
45 Posts
It is possible, but depends on what you are using as your front end. I am using XBMC and I can specify what audio source to use. I have 2 zones in my house and love it. Zone 1 is my 5.1 surround sound through HDMI. Zone 2 are my ceiling speakers throughout the house.

My HTPC is running Windows 7, so I have zone 2 set as default. Subsonic is running on my HTPC and I have it set to run a playlist. This way anyone can hit play on the remote and music will start playing throughout the house. I have a touch screen pc in the kitchen and normally use this to control music. Subsonic has what they call JukeBox mode so anything I select plays from the HTPC itself
Can even control it with my phone if I wanted to.

If I want to watch TV through zone 1, I simply turn the TV on and XBMC is always running. Just find the TV show or Movie I want to watch, and hit play.

Works great when neighbor kids come over and want to watch a movie while the adults listen to music as the same time.

I believe there is a way you can have 2 zones within Windows Media Center, but I find XBMC more user friendly and flashier.

Ken~

1 - 3 of 3 Posts