AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pioneer SD533HD5 and the DVD playback is tremendous. I don’t even use a progressive scan player – it looks amazing using the internal line doubler. I bought a Panasonic RP-91, but I returned it because I didn’t really see the difference between it and my old Onkyo player upscaled to 480P.

Now, I can clearly see the difference between actual HD using MyHD and DVD. But if I upscale a DVD to 1080I using the MyHD card, the result is not earth shaking or even really discernable (plus the playback is buggy and I can't figure out how to skikp chapters). Again, not a big difference. My next step would be to use DVD software to play DVD’s and set Powerstrip to output my desktop to 1080I. I’d also need a soundcard with optical out for 5.1 audio. But I was having real problems getting the 1080I to work through my Sapphire Radeon 9000. The screen rolls diagonally (I don’t know if this a problem with the settings, Powerstrip, the Radeon chipset, or the MyHD VGA passthrough).

Then it hit me – perhaps my 53†screen is just not big enough to notice the difference between video scaled to 1080I versus native 480P. I have realized that some of the DVD’s that I though looked great on my old 40†analog set don’t look nearly as good now.

So my question is this – how many people out there with HTPC DVD and 55†and under sets really see a big difference between their HTPC and a consumer deck? How noticable is it? I’m starting to reconcile myself with the notion that I should just let it lie and be happy using my HTPC solely for HD recording and playback.

Anyone beg to differ?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have the 510HD and see a big enough difference between my HDTV and my non-progressive DVD player. I don't scale to 1080i though.

The 510HD has the same line doubler as your set I believe. And it's the same size. It took me a while to tweak the HTPC to get the superior picture but once I did the difference was quite evident.

Haven't tried a progressive DVD player though. I went to HTPC and never looked back.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I agree with you about not noticing too much of a difference using an HTPC and a set top box DVD player on a smaller screen. I have a fairly high end HTPC and use it on my plv70 and the image looks great. Its 133 inch diagonal screen and there is a huge difference between that and my progressive scan dvd player. Now, when I hook up my HTPC to my smaller 43 inch HDTV, I notice no difference at all. So, I don't bother and if I watch a DVD on the small screen I just pop in the old dvd player.

Though, my screen is smaller than yours. I have seen 61 inch DLP screens with HTPC, and that does look alot better than STB dvd players.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.