AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to acheive the best, sharpest, clearest picture possible for DVD viewing with my ECP 4100. Is it better dor me to acquire an external progressive scan DVD player and feed its signal through dscaler or acquire a DVDO and send the signal from the HTPC DVD player through the DVDO?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Thats really not how an HTPC works at all.

You play DVDs in your HTPCs DVD drive and it sends right to your projector. And it will beat most any progressive scan player. Search the forum for a FAQ.

------------------

Cal Z.

Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ RCA DTC-100

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

[email protected]

·
Registered
772 Posts
dude,

if you want the best in DVD playback image quality, you want the HTPC.

like the newer multiprocess single chip progressive dvd players (sage/faroudja etc.), it's all in the digital realm

but the real difference is the HTPC's scaling capabilities, which it performs still in the digital realm. it rivals systems costing over $20k.

it has the potential to hand your monitor/projector 1080i or 720p (or any custom resolution you need) which was produced entirely in the digital domain until the very last step of analog conversion.

just beware that video source material will not be as spectacular, but still acceptable, depending on your hardware. in my experience with htpc's, this the only area where no matter what amount of tweaking i do, it does not perform as well as film based material with flags.

MMAfia

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.