AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well as you see I answered part of our questions. It does work and I must say its pretty trick, most video cards/tuner support component cables. Looks like we are the only ones braving this frontier

·
Registered
106 Posts
Karnis,

Yes indeed there are many Hitachi users. But odly, a search reveals very few using there Hitachi's DVI connectivity in HTPC setting. I find it strange since this seems to be a logical bandwagon vs the vga adapter-->component cables.

jkokjohn,

I agree with you. I am curious to know whether you tried Poerstrips Custom resolution for 'HDTV derived 848x540P'? With widescreen screens like ours, it should work great.

Now, to find a cable provider in Canada that has 20-30ft lenghs... Thanks for the link to digital connectivity's 30ft cable. However, being in Canada it would take weeks to clear through customs and all the hassles.

I have found a company in Ontario. But only 15ft max length. They also sell a 6ft Male/Female DVI extension-- I may end up daisy chaining the 15ft + 6 ft.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Like Karnis said, I have been enjoying my 9500pro connected by dvi to my Hitachi 65swx20b for months now. TheaterTek is the player of choice and I will NEVER go back to an analog connection. There is no easier solution than Powerstrip, Radeon with DVI and TheaterTek.

Karnis, Thanks for the "memories" and of course all of your help over the past year when it comes to Powerstrip and TheaterTek, like I always say----"You the Man".

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've got my Hitachi 51uwx20b connected to my radeon 9000pro via DVI and it works great. No need to go any other way.

·
Registered
176 Posts
What about Sony RPTV? Can I do the same using ATI 7500 DVI to this RV?

I have 51" 16:9 Hi-Scan® Projection TV; Model KP-51WS500.

Can any recommend powerstrip settings via DVI (w/o dongle or vga adapter)?

·
Registered
301 Posts
57swx20b, connected via DVI, IT works, but I am unable to get it to work with catalyst 3.4 or 3.5 drivers, I am stuck with 3.2

Unless you guys have some ideas.

I have a radeon 9700 pro. When I install 3.4 or 3.5 it says no resolutions are supported, unless I am using 640x480. I wish I could get a nice resolution, I am using 880x486 with the 3.2 drivers but would rather run at a higher resolution with the new drivers.

Any ideas Gman?

·
Registered
85 Posts
BenPlace -

What monitor driver are you using? I use the one that Karnis posted in his thread on custom resolutions for the Mitsu and it works great... so what if it says Mitsu instead of Hitachi. I suppose I could change that if I were so inclined.

You have to make sure your monitor driver says that it is capable of the resolutions you are trying to use.

Lish

·
Registered
108 Posts
-Ben Place

As lish suggests, you probably need to change the monitor driver. Using the "Plug & Play Monitor" driver will limit your choices. I have had success using the Sony GDM-W900 driver that comes with WinXP. If just changing the monitor driver doesn't help, you can try double-clicking on the monitor icon next to the Resolution slider in the Display Profiles configuration window in PowerStrip and it will attempt to disable any resolution/refresh rate limits.

Using Radeon 9700->DVI->57GWX20b combination with the 3.4 catalyst drivers I have been able to get many modes working including 1920x1080i.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If this isnt strange enough. I ended up setting the adding the 880x496, 1280x720, and 1777x1000 to the MONITOR, and it took all of them, I then could add them to the TV, now all three resolutions work. Weird stuff. Makes no sense to me. I had to mess with the ATI control panel setting that switched between primary and secondary monitors, to switch the resolutions over to the TV.

The only lingering problem I have now, is with Zoom player. When I select the 1777x1000 resolution there is no overscan and I can see the whole desktop, but when I play a movie, the picture is cut in half horizontilly, and centered at the bottom of the screen instead of in the middle.

Any ideas on that one guys?

I really appreciate all of the help I get on here from everyone!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BenPlace
when I play a movie, the picture is cut in half horizontilly, and centered at the bottom of the screen instead of in the middle.

Any ideas on that one guys?
This is likely the interlaced overlay bug that has plagued the catalyst drivers for a while now. This was fixed in the 3.4 drivers and subsequently broken again in the 3.5 drivers. So, either use the 3.4 drivers, or since you are using Zoom Player, you can use the VMR9 renderer as it is immune to this effect.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lish
... so what if it says Mitsu instead of Hitachi. I suppose I could change that if I were so inclined.
I'll bet you could open that .ini file I posted with notepad and edit it to list your particular model. If not just do a new custom one in Powerstrip with the same settings and your sets make and model.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Benny's Place --- with my MX400 I get all sort of settings to work. I ended up using the 1280x720 for dvd playback to fill the screen pretty close. When I have a video on my harddrive it takes a really goofy setting.

P.S. Karnis I added many of your settings but why does a 720 work but not a 1080i or 540?

·
Registered
106 Posts
jkojohn,

I am happy to hear that you are getting some degree of luck with your geforce card. Amazing how few geforce users are on this forum.

Is the card that bad compared to Redeon.

PS- DVI cables on order now! :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote:
I'll bet you could open that .ini file I posted with notepad and edit it to list your particular model. If not just do a new custom one in Powerstrip with the same settings and your sets make and model.
Thanks Karnis... Now it says Hitachi!

Lish:D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey Lish,

Since the few of us here are basically all using Hitachi, why don't you share with us those pstrip.ini settings that seem to work well for you and paste them up on this this thread.

(Mind you, I don't suppose they'll be any use to us Geforce users :( )

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.