AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Im trying to come up with a decent HTPC for DVD playback as well as (possibly) doing a better job of scaling my standard-def D* stuff. My D* receiver has an always-on 480i output, I wanted to feed it in to a video in card in the HTPC, then scale it out to my Mits 65819. Im not even totally sure its possible, so I wanted to make sure, as well as get suggestions on equipment. Id also like to be able to record from the 480i output as well.

As far as whats gonna go into the HTPC, my idea is as follows:

Mainboard - Abit BG7

CPU - Celeron 1.8/2.0 (or is a P4 required for scaling/recording analog stuff? no timeshift......at least not yet)

RAM - 512MB PC 133 RAM (I have a GB of this stuff lyin around, I didnt want to go DDR if its really not gonna be worth it)

Video - Radeon 7500 (would a 9000 Pro be that much better? I worry about ATI and driver support for new products)

Audio - Initially the SPDIF from the motherboard, eventually upgrade to M Audio Revo for DVD-A support

Storage - Best size Baracuda I can afford :) (at least 120GB)

Capture card - open to suggestions on this one

Case - not sure yet.............the Cooler Master is nice, but I dont wanna be stuck with Micro-ATX boards

Add the usual stuff (keyboard, mouse, etc).

Does this sound like something that can handle scaling DVDs to 540p/1080i, scaling 480i to 540p/1080i (if its even possible), and possibly recording analog sources (and timeshifting maybe)?

Thanks in advance for all the help.........I read thru the newbie FAQ, but the equipment is kinda outdated (damn technology!!!)........I figure not much is required for scaling DVDs, but for my other 2 requirements I dont know whats best.

Thanks!!!

-Chris

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
best thing i can suggest is do a search for each peice of equipent you plan on using and see what others have to say about the thing.. the cel should work finr for what you want to do.. also 512 should work.. why would you be worried about the uATX board?? if they have the intergrated devices such as ethernet firewire usb2 and say spdif then use them.. this is one reason i want to use a fully intergrated mobo i can find so i dont have to keep adding cards.. and IMHO the smaller the better.. i live the mini-itx formfactor.. also the shuttle formfactor but as some reviews say with they would adopt the mini-itx standard..

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Why the abit?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I listed the wrong model #.....they have a board that uses non-DDR SDRAM, and thats the one I was aiming for.

If I get the P4PE (Id love to!!!!), I need to abandon the 1GB of ram I already have and buy all new RAM. I dont necessarily mind doing that, but seeing as how Im not going to be gaming on this machine, I have to wonder if DDR is really worth the trouble. Thats also the reason Im leaning towards a Celeron if I can (yes, Im on somewhat of a budget......I dont mind spending the extra $$$ on a P4 and DDR, if its actually going to be worth it).

-Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.