AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What font and icon size do you guys use for HTPC web browsing and gaming? I'm sitting about 7' away from a 37" 1080p set and am curious what settings you use for readable web pages and settings on the computer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What I do, is set my resolution to the highest it will go, 1920x10280 but as you've probably noticed it can be painful to read anything on the screen. I then set my DPI to large so that it maintains the resolution clarity but more or less increases the size of all text etc.

When gaming or watching movies the DPI doesn't mess with those settings, just for everyday desktop ones.

Using Windows XP,

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Display>

Settings Tab>Advanced Button>General Tab> DPI to Large (may require a reboot)

·
Registered
372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAgustin /forum/post/14205545

What I do, is set my resolution to the highest it will go, 1920x10280 but as you've probably noticed it can be painful to read anything on the screen. I then set my DPI to large so that it maintains the resolution clarity but more or less increases the size of all text etc.

When gaming or watching movies the DPI doesn't mess with those settings, just for everyday desktop ones.

Using Windows XP,

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Display>

Settings Tab>Advanced Button>General Tab> DPI to Large (may require a reboot)

+1

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did this and it does help a lot but my desktop icons are huge and take up a tone of space now. Also the windows sidebar widgets and some of my apps still have small text. I can't organize my music in mediamonkey because it's too small to read.
I did use the ctrl + scroll wheel for web pages.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Yeah, I don't like playing with the DPI settings either. Not only does it not increase the font size on some things, but it also screws up the formatting on others. When viewing a display from beyond optimal viewing distances I generally prefer to just run a lower desktop resolution, using either the scaler built into the display or whatever scaling functionality might be built into the video drivers, whichever provides better results.

At 7' from a 37" 20/20 vision can't resolve much more than 720p anyway, so depending on your eyesight you may find that optimal. And of course if you do find yourself wanting smaller fonts and more desktop space, you could always try whatever other 16:9 resolutions you might have available in between, or conceivably add custom ones to suit your needs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts