Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to build an htpc and was thinking of using the following parts:

CPU: i3 4340 Haswell 3.6 GHz Dual Core

MB: GIGABYTE GA-H87N-WIFI(rev. 2.0)

PSU: Corsair CX430M

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2 Χ 4GB)

SSD: SAMSUNG EVO 840 120 GB

HDD: WD 500GB 2.5 inch (already have) – more external hdd will be connected

For the case, I came down to the following two options that look suitable for the space I am planning to put the htpc

- COOLERMASTER RC-130

- Fractal Design NODE 304

It’s main use will be movies – mostly hd and 3D - and it is necessary to be able to pass through to my AMP, dts HD and Dolby True HD sound

I would like your opinion/advice on the following:

- Is the above setup adequate?

- You opinion on which one of the two cases should I prefer

- Do you think I will have space issues with either one of the two cases

- Should I add in the above setup a GPU (I was thinking GeForce GTX 750 (i). Would this give me better quality in video and audio?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionisisf  /t/1524208/htpc-for-3d-and-hd-sound#post_24526365

I- Should I add in the above setup a GPU (I was thinking GeForce GTX 750 (i). Would this give me better quality in video and audio?

On a basic set up, no video card will offer better quality video than another. Sticking a massive gaming gpu in a normal htpc won't make video any more vibrant, or clear, or deep, etc.

What you CAN do with a more powerful video card is utilize custom rendering/upscaling software like MadVR.

The setup you listed will definitely work out to play 3D movies and HD audio. What video player and frontend are you thinking about using?

You might consider using that setup without a discrete video card, and adding one later if you like to tinker.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Regarding the cases, either is fine.

However, the choice you should take is based on which of the two are more aesthetically pleasing to you.

Also consider your long term plan for storage.

If you are going to continue hooking up External drives, then either is OK.

However if you are potentially looking to use internal HDD's, the FD 604 clearly has the edge over the CM RC-130 in internal 3.5 inch HDD bays (6 vs.3)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your feedback

I will move ahead with Fractal Design case since I like more the minimalistic design.

@pittsoccer33: Given that the current setup without GPU could be enough to begin with I will check this and get GPU if needed.

For the front end interface I am thinking XBMC but any suggestions for both front and video player are more than welcome!

Another quick question based on a comment got from someone, do you think I will face any issues with the specific PSU and the hasswell processor? It seems that it's not verified by Corsair that they are 100% compatible ( http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2013/may/haswell-compatibility-with-corsair-power-supplies ). If this is the case I should be looking for another PSU but definitely needs to be modular

·
Registered
545 Posts
Regarding the PSU...

While there is no existing data from Corsair confirming that the CX430M DOES work properly with Haswell Low Power States, I do not recall seeing anything, or have any experience with it being an issue.

If you find it is an issue, you can always adjust the Low Power states, either in the BIOS, or within the OS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply.

In order to avoid any potential issues, do you have any suggestion for any other PSU I could look at?

As mentioned in my previous post, being modular and as silent as possible are the main factors for me.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you're truly concerned, I'd look at the following alternatives...

SILVERSTONE SST-ST40F-ES 400W ATX 12V 2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

(FSP based) $35 A/R

and
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Intel Haswell Fully Compatible

(SeaSonic based)

Just double check the physical dimensions to make sure they will fit in the Node 304. IIRC, 160mm is the max length.

I realize these are not modular, but IMO, modular PSU's are not worth the price premium. Good cable management is better.

I prefer PSU's from the following MFG's:

SeaSonic

Antec

PC Power and Cooling (Company technically no longer exists, was supported by OCZ, and support currently in Limbo)

Silverstone

FSP

Sparkle

Enermax

Corsair

CoolerMaster

Perhaps you are a candidate for a Pico PSU.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts