AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I get in too deep I thought I would ask the general opinion of this forum. I did read a lot of the FAQs and whatnot but find myself still on the edge.

Current setup:

Multi-region Pioneer DV-333 connected through component to my 27" Sony Wega non-HDTV.

Want to get into HTPC:

I am hoping for some picture improvement over my stand-alone even though I know the HTPC will be connected through S-video. I am also expecting better sound (will buy a M-Audio 2496 card - that should do it. Vid card would be ATI Radeon 7500).

Are those expectations realistic? Or should I just forget about it until I get a proper HDTV?

My main reason for putting together a HTPC is for subtitling anime/non-r1 shows with timed-scripts through the PC - I think I could stomach a little degradation in picture quality, as I am a "audio is more important then video" guy anyway (as long as the HTPC provides good audio that is).

Any comments appreciated!

While I'm at it... Can I trick my TV into thinking a non-anamorphic DVD is anamorphic with this kind of HTPC connection/setup?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Video probably won't get any better. The quality of the tv-out is important in this case.

As you seem to well know, most people use the HTPC for its gain in video quality, but that is only with a set that will take higher resolutions than simple 480i.

But the scripts for anime is an interesting concept. There are a few people who hang around here who use the HTPC for its functionality and not just the video improvement.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mystery thickens... What I thought would be an open and shut case now seems to be turning my brain to jelly... I just finished reading a whole bunch of neverending threads on the sound quality of HTPC compared to standalone transports/etc. The only thing I seem to recall is that M-Audio based HTPCs doesn't beat 5-6K transports... Which is not very useful information :)

Can anyone provide experience in comparing HTPCs with good sound cards to standalone DVD players or Receivers (if using sofware DD/DTS/etc decoding).

I am guessing this is another of those cases where I need to take the financial bullet and see/hear for myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.