AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am tired of wishing certain titles will come out for region 1. I want to have region free DVD capability. I have just an analog TV. No HD. I could just buy a Malata, but i hear they have pretty bad quality in terms of dvd playback in interlaced mode. I was wondering if i could just build a HTPC, use powerstrip to maximize the quality on my analog set, use that as a DVD player, and calibrate with Avia. How would this look compared to the Malata or other region free players on an analog?

To justify the price in building a new HTPC here are more reasons for me to build one:

1) I am already pretty good at computing and building PCs.

2) I would also use it for PC games to play on a bigger screen, i know they don't look as good on a analog TV, but playing on a bigger screen is alot more appealing.

3) I would use it as a music jukebox with the gigs upon gigs of mp3s that i have.

4) It would be fun!

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Well, if it's just region free playback for regular TV set, I would just get a Malata.

NOTE: The following experience is with interlaced playback.

I own a Malata N996, and it has been a good player. It's one of the few that properly converts PAL to NTSC. The overall pic quality is not bad, not as good as a Pannasonic XP-30, but better than the Sony DVD players I had.

I myself am about to upgrade to an HTPC, but thats because I'll be getting a projector. Of course, if you have money for an HTPC you can do what I do; Use a Panasonic XP-30, XP-50, RP-82 or the Denon 1600(all have excellent pic quality) as your primary player, and use the Malata for other-regionly titles.

Between the Matala and my Panny XP-30, there is not much difference. The Panny is slightly sharper, and it has no combing effect(only on rare occasions do you get combing). For more info, go here: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=all

Plus, if you have a widescreen set, you can scale the image with the Malata to fit the whole screen(handy with non anamorphic letterbox movies).

Being that you just have a regular TV, I strongly recommend the Malata route.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.