AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this is not an original idea -- but here goes. How difficult is it to use a HTPC to scale progressive input? Would it be possible to bypass all of the de-interlacing functions of Dscaler and use it to scale external progressive input. Or is there a capture card out there than can accept 480P input and pass it onto the scaling abilities of good video card.

The reason I am interested is that 1) I am not satisfied with the deinterlacing of the Quadscan, 2) I was happy with the de-interlacing of the iScan but need more than 480P, and 3) I can't afford a faroudja NRS, or Rock etc.

I suppose I could use Dscaler for everything -- but I would need to buy a new HTPC and from what I understand Dscaler is great for DVD -- but its ability to de-interlace external video is not up to par with the iScan.

Ideas? Thanks.

Greg

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi Greg,

I've been hunting down this possibility to benefit as much as possible from Faroudja DCDi deinterlacing prior to scaling with the HTPC. It would involve purchasing a VERY expensive professional RGBVH input card which would convert the analogue progressive signal into a digital one. It also, from what I previously gathered, requires you're designing dedicated software to enable it being compatible with scaling software. Sure you're still interested? ;)

However, DScaler's Greedy High Motion deinterlacing has much improved the performance of this scaling software - and I expect that there will no doubt be yet futher improvements as the CPU processing power in our HTPCs evolves.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
"but its ability to de-interlace external video is not up to par with the iScan"

Who's telling you that?

edit: wow, that's like the third or fourth cross-post that I've had the lately...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Brett,

Sounds like we are getting close to the price of an NRS. Oh well, I thought it was to easy to really work. It just seems that if we can seperate the de-interlacing and scaling tasks we could really leverage the best of both worlds.

As for Dscaler versus outboard scalers -- the problem that I seem to see referred to is that Dscaler is not quite up to the outboards with crappy cable and DSS video -- which unfortunately I watch quite a bit.

However, feel free to set me straight -- can dscaler really match DCDi or even the iScan on off the air video sources?

Thanks for all the help.

Greg

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Greg: Tom Barry's Greedy HMA deinterlacing algorithm has been getting very good reviews on video source. Nobody's claiming that it matches DCDi, but I gather that it leaves the iScan far behind.

That said, Greedy HMA has been around for only a month or two, and in beta versions of DScaler only. Things move so quickly in the computer world. It takes some time for the word to get out. By that time, there's already something better.

Re separation of deinterlacing and scaling, that's the way it's done now. DScaler deinterlaces. The video card scales. Overall, this probably isn't the best way to get it done. The two might be better integrated--there has been some discussion about doing some of the actual scaling in DScaler. Up to this point, CPU requirements were just too high, but CPUs are becoming very powerful and inexpensive.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know of any progress (no pun intended) on the progressive input front – with the Omega power buy from AVS we now have access to DCDi for only $899 – but no way to get the 480p output into an HTPC for further scaling and processing. I am certainly no expert, but with S-video capture cards selling for $20-$30, and with progressive sources becoming more common – a progressive capture card seems like a market niche whose time is here. I guess ATI would be a natural – the AIW+.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I am beginning to worry that the CX23880 is vaporware. I feel like there should be devices that utilize this chip by now.

-Steve

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Nah, it's not vaporware. But the rollout on this chip will probably be slower because they aren't backward compatible. I've got a call in to their distributor for availability.

Anyway, this chip would require an additional decoder for analog component 480p, for instance.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Perhaps vaporware was the wrong term. I have no doubt that the chip exists. However, there are many chips out there that don't make it into mainstream products.

Forgetting the idea of 480p, I was equally interested in the purported decrease in video noise. That and the fact that Conexant is eager to see dscaler compatibility make this interesting. I get that I am just a little impatient.

-Steve

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Cool! Thanks for the pix!

How much does it cost and can I order one from the States?

I note that the CX23881 is a scaled-down version of the CX23880.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
You are welcome.

The official page is here:
http://www.iodata.co.jp/products/vid.../gvvcp3pci.htm

This product is manufactured by I-O DATA.

The model is GV-VCP3/PCI and the street price is about 9,800 yen plus tax:
http://akibapc.earena.co.jp/cgi-bin/...ME=GV-VCP3/PCI

You may try to contact some members in Japan and ask them the total costs:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=28509

P r i c e j a p a n.com is another source if those members cannot help you.

BTW, the drivers, software, and manual should be Japanese only. It can be somewhat difficult for the developments of SDI Silk 200... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/images/icons/icon7.gif

(I gave up the chance to buy SDI Silk 100 because I knew that CX2388x will have 10-bit ADC. Sorry about that.)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
The cards don't seem to be helpful - all of them only has regular composite and S-video inputs - won't accept 480p.

Forget USB to tranfer 480p, it doesn't even have enough bandwidth to transfer 480i. As for the firewire, unless there's a DVD player that has a Firewire output AND also outputs 480p through that, I don't think it helps any since the only people that benefit is those using (mini/)DV cams.

Come on, Dan, make something to accept 480p :).

·
Registered
850 Posts
As much as I like SDI, something that accepts progressive component input and/or RGB would also be fine. That way it also accomodates those people that DON'T have SDI-output-generating devices.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Quote:
Tom Barry's Greedy HMA deinterlacing algorithm has been getting very good reviews on video source. Nobody's claiming that it matches DCDi, but I gather that it leaves the iScan far behind.

dschmelzer,

Whare can I download this deinterlacing algorithm? Can I use it with the current dScaler? I would love to give it a try.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
For DScaler it's actually called Greedy (High Motion). GreedyHMA refers to Greedy (High Motion for Avisynth), an Avisynth filter made from much the same code.

Greedy(HM) should be included in DScaler 3.1.2 though if you need the newer experimental version with sharp/soft controls you will have to get a copy of the DScaler 4.0 alpha release somewhere.

DScaler 3.1.2 can be downloaded from Sourceforge .

- Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.