AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been anxiously waiting news of the new dlps on show at CEDIA. What exactly does it mean when a projector is called non-HTPC friendly... My HTPC is setup and ready to go and I haven't heard this term before http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Mike

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
All projectors designed primarily for business use are "PC Friendly." That is they use a standard resolution such as 1024x768 which all video cards support. Even some projectors with higher resolutions, such as D-ILA machines, can be use with "pixel perfection" by adjusting the output of the video card with a program such as PowerStrip.

Some projectors, such as the Sony VW10HT, have 16:9 display panels. They are not considered "PC Friendly" because, even if you adjust the video card output to match the pixel count in the horizontal and vertical dimensions, the projector will not directly sync to it, or it will assume a nearby input resolution such as 1280x720, which is a standard HDTV resolution. With these projectors you have to jump through some hoops to "trick" the projector into accepting the PC output at its native rate.

Supposedly the newer 11HT version of the Sony works better with PC's.

I don't think anyone has tested the new generation of 16:9 DLP projectors from Sharp, Seleco and Dwin for their PC friendliness. This is one of the things I'm hoping to hear from outside reviewers.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim,

I have everything setup to go but a projector and screen... I am considering everything from PLV 60, 11HT, Sharp 9000... but don't want to spend more than that. I was hoping for more info from CEDIA but I guess a little more patience is needed - arrgghh its been a few months already.

The PLV60 has come down and cost and I at the that point where I am tired a waiting to hear about the new comers. I have not heard that it is PC unfriendly. I am going to use the HTPC for more than just scalling etc.

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.