AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16,786 Posts
Xbox cannot run WinXP properly and runs older versions very very slow . Linux runs great however . Now as for using it as an HTPC , it is already being done [to some extent] by some .

-- Jason Berg

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
And with the price of AMD XP's and motherboards it's not even all that cheap compared to a low end HTPC system... :cool:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hmm, I get an XBOX for ~$150. I guess an additional ~$80 for mod chip and HDTV cable.

Is anyone using this as their primary DVD player? 540p or 1080i yet? Is the picture as good as Radeon?

I had a GeForce2 back in the day, but 8 bit DACs (or whatever was the cause) resulted in "bands" instead of fine gradual shades. I don't want to go back to that. (XBOX uses nvidia graphics.)

I like the more standalone DVD player feel of the XBOX, than a traditional HTPC.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Don't waste your time with the Xbox as a DVD player if you are looking for quality.

I have an old Toshiba 1200 interlaced player that displays better pq than my modded Xbox.

Even the hack to make the Xbox a progressive player results in a lot of problems. Such as blocks being displayed in large same color sceens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.