AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I am building an HTPC and was wondering if I really need to buy windows media center or if there is a good "front end" app for XP that will allow me to access my content easily. I am going to be recording TV on a PC in one room and then playing the content in another room over a wirelessG link. I'll alos want to watch home movies of my son and slide shows and such. I just want something that will allow me to easily browse my content and maybe have different categories etc.

Thanks in advance for any info...

·
Registered
317 Posts
isn't MyHTPC still available for download somewhere? Before Meedio died out, MyHTPC was one of the best (and free) frontends around. very customizable too

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have tried several of them and keep going back to MediaPortal because its been the easiest to setup and use. The ability to use a different DVD/media player is a huge plus too. The best option for you is to try out several of them and decide which one you fits your needs best. Playing around with them will allow you to understand what you really need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These are all awesome ideas. I will look into all of them. I am recording in a back bedroom using an ATI AIW 9600. It came with a program that downloads the listings each week over the net. I want to record back there so I don't have the have the PC in our bed room running all the time. I will just play the recorded video over a wirelessG connection to the back room. I have a nice soilid 54M connection so it should work fine. Thanks for all the ideas.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewagner501 /forum/post/0

I have tried several of them and keep going back to MediaPortal because its been the easiest to setup and use. The ability to use a different DVD/media player is a huge plus too. The best option for you is to try out several of them and decide which one you fits your needs best. Playing around with them will allow you to understand what you really need.

I second Mediaportal. It is very easy to setup and with just a small learning curve can play just about anything.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
I haven't tried Mediaportal, but I set up my parents HTPC laptop with Xlobby. They love it, works like a champ.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I second Xlobby. Way best front end I've ever seen.

IVB, how come you didn't mention CQC?

·
Registered
5,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 /forum/post/0

IVB, how come you didn't mention CQC?

With the advent of CQC2.0, and within a few days, 2.0.14, it's grown so powerful that it would be killing a gnat with a nuclear bomb. (mosquito & elphant gun analogy isn't extreme enough). Price has been adjusted upwards too, although it's still 40% less than the competition if you compare apples-apples.

However, for the OP's needs, SageTV V6 is absolutely perfect - the right size solution for the problem. No need to overspend and overengineer the solution.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.