AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

While HTPC and gaming don't work for some people, I'm hoping to give it a go and check out the results for myself.

Problem being, my significant other does not want to be using a keyboard/mouse combo from the comfort of the couch.

So, what gamepads are people using and what can you recommend?

I'm getting drawn toward the rumblepad by logitech- but I'm open to other suggestions. Having feedback from the controller would be preferred.

Of course it will mainly be used for FP or 3P games, but I'm also open to suggestions for good games on a gamepad too.

Cheers

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/17031251

The only correct answer is the wireless Xbox 360 gamepad with the PC adapter.

End of thread.

Well thanks for the reply. Could you perhaps be a little more specific though? does the xbox 360 have force feedback? is it rechargable? Why is it "the best"?

Just trying to identify why you like the controller :)

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
It is the only gamepad that has ever been built "right". Being designed to be hugely mass produced for a console, it has a vastly larger development budget than any gamepad you will ever find designed for the PC. As such, it is more comfortable and more accurate than any PC pad, with face buttons and triggers that respond in a far nicer manner. The only gamepad that has had more money spent on it's creation is the one that you will find with the Wii, but that really is not something intended for PC use.

Additionally, if a game is going to be set up for a gamepad out of the box, then the 360 controller is what it will have in mind. The thing is the standard at this point.

Yes it does standard two-motor rumble. No, it's not rechargeable.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The X360 game pad does have rumble and you can either use batteries or purchase a rechargable pak. I love it for newer games that need a gamepad, because this is the gamepad these games are designed for. But in older pc games (i.e. before the X360) taht need gamepads, I use a Logitech wireless. Games from previous eras are really designed for the Playstation style controllers. Since I have a few of these contollers already, it's no big deal to use them. N64 emulation works great with the X360 controllers though!

·
Registered
115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/17031796

I have another question: Why the heck is the receiver for the thing so expensive? I can get the 360 pads cheap, but the stupid receiver goes for $40 everywhere online?!? Guh.

That's a good question, and one I could not answer for myself. That is why I just bought the corded 360 gamepad (yea yea yea, i know all of you much prefer the wireless)... long cord, no batteries needed, rumble, and like everyone said, is the standard for gamepad gaming

·
Registered
19,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/17031796

I have another question: Why the heck is the receiver for the thing so expensive? I can get the 360 pads cheap, but the stupid receiver goes for $40 everywhere online?!? Guh.

Probably because Games for Windows live has garnered more support and become pretty much the standard. Last year you could have picked one up off of Amazon resellers for ~$15. Now you're better off just buying the controller+receiver package and reselling the controller seperately (or giving it away) if you don't need it. Last year I got a new Controller+receiver for $31.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Anything similar available for the PS3? I thought I saw one but recently but now I can't find one. Obviously I own a PS3 and would prefer not to buy another controller.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts