AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Sammy HLR5067W and I am putting together a new HTPC for it. I have built a Shuttle P4 2.8Ghz machine with 1 GB RAM. Right now the only thing I need to finish it is a video card. My biggest question is this:

- HDMI or VGA for the connection? I have read many threads and it seems people swing both ways. Since I want this as hassle free as possible...I am thinking VGA.

My next question has to do with some games...I think if the game supports the native resolution then I am all set. I have found some sweet sites that explain what games support what resolution. My main concern is getting Madden to work. From everything I have read it seems the EA game are a pain?

- Does Madden 2006 support a widescreen resolution for my Sammy DLP?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that is what I was thinking...I just thought maybe this year they would get their heads out of their rear and realize people are doing everything on their widescreens. I am hoping Madden 2006 has it, but I cannot find anything that says one way or the other. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I still have to see a EA game that supports widescreen and forces 800x600 on their menus...

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
There is a crack on the Widescreengaming forum that allows you to run custom wide screen rez's for almost any EA game. I am doing it with NFSU right now.

- Josh

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Madden 2005 looks fine on my Samsung 5663 via DVI from my 6600GT. It blows away my XBOX. XBOX is full of jaggies while the HTPC is smooth. Get an adapter that will allow you to use either a PS2 or XBOX controller on your PC and it's better than playing on a console. The res is a tad off guys might look a tad stockier but it's not a deal breaker. Like I said the HTPC eliminates the jaggies from the game so for me it's 100 times better.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
Quote:
There is a crack on the Widescreengaming forum that allows you to run custom wide screen rez's for almost any EA game. I am doing it with NFSU right now.
of course you can stretch the games to widescreen but I have yet to see one EA game that could be modified to 16:9 native

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I gave it a whirl last night. I hooked the HTPC up to the TV via VGA and HDMI. I didn't really see a difference...the VGA seemed more user friendly. I played Madden and it seemed pretty good. Is the TV stretching it or the PC? The HTPC went to 1024x768. Is that right? Some games like Doom 3, BIA, UT2004 seemed to go to 1280x720...they also looked pretty good. NFS Underground didn't play and I could not hack it with the tool on WSGF even though it is listed as a supported game. My stock DVD player didn't do so hot...it played real skinny. I might get Theatertek tonight and see how that goes with ffdshow or whatever it is called. Seems like there is a lot of work ahead me, but it will be worth it. I am sure liking the Samsung DLP (HLR5067W) as well. Sorry about these dumb questions, but I am just trying to understand what input will do what resolutions the best, etc.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What resolution should I be trying to achieve with my Sammy DLP when using HDMI or VGA? 1024x768? 1280x720?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. I know it was a stupid question. I got it working...changed to [email protected] and did the auto adjustment. I am using the VGA instead of the HDMI...I can not tell a big difference. Games are awesome on this thing! Even the EA games. All I need now is a sweet wireless mouse/keyboard that I can use on the couch!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfuller
Thanks. I know it was a stupid question. I got it working...changed to [email protected] and did the auto adjustment. I am using the VGA instead of the HDMI...I can not tell a big difference. Games are awesome on this thing! Even the EA games. All I need now is a sweet wireless mouse/keyboard that I can use on the couch!
You're not going to play Madden with a mouse and keyboard are you?? I'm using a USB adapter for XBOX controllers - think it's called the JoyBox. I plugged my Logitech wireless XBOX controller into it and it works great. You can use wired controllers as well. Just like playing Madden on my XBOX but without the XBOX jaggies. I'm also using a Samsung DLP HDTV as my monitor - mine is the HLP5663W.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.