AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ps3 recently died on me. Took it to a repair center and they told me it had overheated one too many times and it couldn't be fixed. I've wanted a computer in my media room for a while now mainly for photo editing and some home video editing. I figure for about the same amount of money I could replace my ps3 and buy a Mac mini or I could put together a decent gaming pc (i5 2500k CPU, radeon 6870). A new ps3 slim and Mac mini would probably run alot cooler. If I put a gaming pc together it would have to go in an htpc case for space. I wouldn't game with the cabinet doors closed but I'm still concerned about heating issues with a gaming pc. Is it a bad idea for a setup like that in an entertainment cabinet?

·
Registered
114 Posts
depends on the cabinet, and being that your ps3 has overheated i take that it doesn't have good air flow.

i have my pc built into mine, but its big and have i have fans to draw in cool air and fans to exhaust warm air so its a none issue for me to keep the doors closed, on that side its just important to get large fans that spin slowly.

it can be done without any issue, just depends on planning and getting it setup right the first time

btw, media browser and game browser makes it a 10ft experience and is awesome for playing games and watching movies on tv, closest yet to ps3, i think its much better myself

1 - 2 of 2 Posts