AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a nice new plasma tv and surround sound speakers, and every time I look at my 20" LCD my computer is hooked up to, I just don't really wanna game on it

So I went to work and got my PC nice and quiet (well quiet enough) and am going to move it into the game room where my tv and stereo are.

I really don't want to have wires running in the living room for the keyboard/mouse, so I was looking at wireless options. There really aren't that many for gamers as I see it. The one mouse that seemed to routinely get really solid reviews was the G7. I've always used Razer mice since I'm left handed, but I can't find a solid dpi wireless mouse, so I'm thinking of trying that one out. If my hand cramps over carpel tunnel, I guess I'll just return it. Any other suggestions? I couldn't find anything over 1000 dpi and I've read a lot about disconnects, etc, and would rather have a mouse that was reasonably modern.

Keyboard I'm thinking the logitech wireless wave (it includes an 800 dpi mouse, so I guess I could see if it works.) I really liked the feel of it at the store. The dinovo edge looks too skinny for gaming, and I'd rather not punish something not really designed for it. (Plus the wave is quite a bit cheaper, but I'd pay more if something was worth it.) I like the idea of having a number pad as being left handed I use it for WASD. (I could switch it up I guess, if I had to get one w/o the numpad.)

The last thing I really don't know is...how do you really game in a recliner? Do you guys use like a food tray?

So any suggestions? I'm a bit worried about wireless disconnects and lag, but the idea of having to plug in my mouse and keyboard and run them across the room when I game sounds pretty lame. I did actually buy some lengthy usb cable extensions to just try it out before I buy anything wireless. But I still need to figure out how to get it working well in a recliner.

Any tips would be great!

Thanks,

Matthew

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey,

I sit about 30' from my PC and play FPS or RTS games primarily.

I use:

G7 mouse - haven't had any issues about lag or dropouts.

Some cheap wireless keyboard (Logitech) - I can't remember the model off hand and no issues with lag either.

I like how logitech alerts you when the batteries are low for either the mouse or keyboard so you can swap batteries out between rounds/deaths
Plus the G7 comes with 2 rechargeable batteries!

I use my mouse on the arm of my couch (/w mousepad, laser doesn't work well on suede ... :S) and a dinner tray to keep the keyboard off my lap. It's not ideal by any means but it works!

Regarding the recliner, I remember someone mentioning a lap tray you can get at Ikea that will allow for the mouse too. I haven't really made an effort to find it however.

my 0.02

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
You guys can always just lay a nice board across the arms of the chair ya know

Home Depot sells these pre-finished veneer shelves in 12 and 16" widths at lots of different lengths, plenty of space.

If you don't have arms....hahaha YOU CANT GAME!

(I kid..sorry..anyways)

If you are on a couch with no arms, lets say.....NO ARMS ON THE COUCH
.......then you can cleverly arrange some pillows on either side of you. Boom, instant lap desk.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I use a Logitech V450 laser mouse, and am relatively happy with it. It has good range, but will develop dead zones in the signal if it sits too low near an expanse of signal-absorbing material (carpet, bedding, etc).

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
Yep, sometimes the easiest solution is the one we never think of. I'm looking at these lap-desks which are basically shaped boards with a beanbag glued to the bottom and they're $80, $90 bucks.

Go to Home Depot.....find a nice 16" deep shelf thats 24 or 36" wide, pay the $10 bucks to buy it...in your choice of black or walnut or cherry veneer......then lay it across the arms of your Lay-Z-Boy
If you are on a couch, stop at Bed, Bath and Beyond..or WalMart..and buy two big pillows at .97 cents each. Place pillows on either side of self on couch. Extend board across pillows, and self. Enjoy.

Plus it doubles as a nice food tray

And none of that cheap wobby "$4.00 TV tray" feeling either...thats the one thing that bugs me about stands, when they move around....that just bugs me.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
On the couch I use an RF keyboard in my lap (feet on the coffee table) and a wired trackball on my right side. I can game confortably for hours straight.

Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch /forum/post/14235080

Yep, sometimes the easiest solution is the one we never think of. I'm looking at these lap-desks which are basically shaped boards with a beanbag glued to the bottom and they're $80, $90 bucks.

Go to Home Depot.....find a nice 16" deep shelf thats 24 or 36" wide, pay the $10 bucks to buy it...in your choice of black or walnut or cherry veneer......then lay it across the arms of your Lay-Z-Boy
If you are on a couch, stop at Bed, Bath and Beyond..or WalMart..and buy two big pillows at .97 cents each. Place pillows on either side of self on couch. Extend board across pillows, and self. Enjoy.

Plus it doubles as a nice food tray

And none of that cheap wobby "$4.00 TV tray" feeling either...thats the one thing that bugs me about stands, when they move around....that just bugs me.

That is freakin brilliant, thanks for the tip, almost spent $50 on trash to get comfortable HTPC gaming. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Well, my method won't work for you since you're a leftie but I don't use a keyboard. Nostomo Speedpad is a great device though only for use with the left hand. Only time I use a keyboard is for typing IP #s so I have a laptop size BTC usb mini-keyboard on my lap or shins if the footrest of the recliner is up.
That min- keyboard is only $20.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv /forum/post/14269892

On the couch I use an RF keyboard in my lap (feet on the coffee table) and a wired trackball on my right side. I can game confortably for hours straight.

Mark

How well do the RF keyboards perform? I want to put my box in a closet and was curious if this was possible with a decent keyboard/receiver?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
IKEA lap table for lap use $20

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80115790

Add:...Dont bother....its not great. Its pastic with a bean bag at the bottom. Would be OK for just a laptop but most full size KB will just barely fit with no room for the mouse. Also the white one (only one they had at the store) doesnt work well with laser mouse's. They just dont read the surface right. Lucky it was only $20....

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought a leather chair with large (10 inches wide) flat arms. Works like a charm for setting you mouse, remote, controller, beer, etc and just set the keyboard on my lap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts