AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading lots of reviews, I need a little help. I am looking for a graphics card for both HTPC and gaming use. I view everything on a Panasonic Plasma (852x480) using Powerstrip for pixel-pixel mapping.

I'd like to be playing the new set of DX9 games (ie Halo, Half life 2) etc, but still get very good DVD and Divx playback.

Any suggestions? My buget is about 150 GBP, ie up to about 250 US.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
A 9700 Pro is probably in your range then if you look around. That would be a good card to snag. I use the 9500 Pro myself and it works very well.

-MP

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'd say 9700 Pro is a rocket. I use its big cousin 9800 Pro, but then there are other considerations. If you are using VGA out you might want to go here (or perhaps even if you plan on using DVI, just for info)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=307907

and read the results of the German video card test. 9700 Pro did not do too well on VGA output.

I use 9800 Pro and its 3D engine through VMR9 mode via DVI to my DLP display and it is the best card I have ever tried. But again, I did not try Nvidia past GF4 Ti series.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by madpoet
A 9700 Pro is probably in your range then if you look around. That would be a good card to snag.
I second that. Use the DVI if possible. I suggest you stay away from the AIW..

____

Axel

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am using VGA, the Plasma; I don't have a DVI board for my plasma. Does that really make such a difference to my card selection?

It's also going in a shuttle, so the cooling stuff must be standard size!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.