Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all!

i am looking at different htpc GUIS/Interface etc and planning on which one to install... Does anyone have any suggestions in this field??

-----------------------------

what i want is to have an option to control the whole HTPC via a remote... how do i go about doing this? i've spent hours browsing around...

what software would work best?

how do i go about configuring this?

what remote should i use?

So far it looks like using Home Electronics IRA with Girder Software. I already have a programable remote. Anyone have experience in this field?

Also,

where can i good cheap htpc case parts? Example,

- LED light buttons

- Feet (eg the same "feet" that you find under most receivers, amps, etc)

- Matrix Orbital 2-Line Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD)

i have a friend that is an industrial designer... we're going to put something neat together...

Thanks for your help in advance.

Edit: After 30+ views and no reply, thought i'd rename the thread and edit the message. :p

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also anyone know anything about using and configuring Matrix Orbital LCD screens?

i know there is a plugin to work with Zoomplayer... just wondeirng if anyone had diffculties with it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I use a Matrix Orbital 20x2 VFD that I bought from their web site. I use Girder to control everything. It is the piece of software you probably want to use to control you HTPC. If you use their LCD GML file as a starting point, you VFD will "magically" work.

I use a Pronto to control the HTPC, though NetRemote with a PocketPC is another good choice. The advantage of using these is that you can use your computer to program in the IR codes, allowing great flexibility and "Plug and Play" usage. Look at this and this to get started.

I use an IRMan but will be getting a USB-UIRT as well. I will use both to program "Universal" GML files for the central repository but will use the USB-UIRT in daily use to control my Yamaha DSP-A1, since I need to switch back and forth from External Input (for circle surround from Revo) and normal mode. The IRMan is a receiver only and I now find I need an IR blaster as well (to have state information in Girder about the status of the receiver.)

My case came with feet so I can't help you there.

Hope this helps,

Kyle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AAVI
where can i good cheap htpc case parts? Example,

- LED light buttons

- Feet (eg the same "feet" that you find under most receivers, amps, etc)

- Matrix Orbital 2-Line Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD)
Have a look at Jaycar . Search their site for 'feet'.

C!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys!

with the feet, jaycar just saved me heaps of looking around! never occured for me to look for feet from jaycar! :)

i'm having trouble looking for these for a good price. Can't justify paying $20-25USD for a small button!

http://www.crtcinema.com/store/shop_...145bf0c93a.jpg

or a black version of this
http://www.bulgin.co.uk/Products/Switches/MPI002.jpg

-----

also OT, Cam!, do you know any brushed aluminium metal fabricators, laser cut, etching, etc. I want to custom build a case and was hoping if you know who i can look for to do this? which section of yellowpages would it be under? I'm in Melbourne btw.

thanks again! :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also with IR...

why does everyone use IRman? $35USD

i was thinking of using Home Electronics Ira2 link and costs $17 for OEM version.

·
Registered
115 Posts
AAVI,

I got the IRMan after doing a lot of research on this site. It is well supported by Girder, is quite sensitive, and has been plug and play for me.

With the new repository Bob Sorel is starting you should be able to load the GML, put the CCF in your Pronto, and go, assuming you have a standard IR receiver. If you don't, you will have to learn the event in Girder, which isn't a big deal, just somewhat time consuming.

As for IRA2, I don't have any experience with that.

YMMV

·
Registered
33 Posts
AAVI,

I can't say for sure what that button is but if you take a look at this picture from the web site: http://www.dignint.com/img/7.png

It mentions some sort of HDTV reciever card that can mount onto the case and I am assuming that button has some kind of input to the card, perhaps switches from Desktop to the cards TV app, who knows.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.