AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've built an HTPC using ubuntu and mythtv, but I'm having a hard time connecting it to my TV. My HTPC has VGA and DVI outputs, and I have a DVI-Component cable. My 52" RCA HDTV projection TV has only Component input, no DVI or HDMI. When I connect the component cable I get a lot of garbage, looks like when you connect a monitor that's badly out of refresh rate or resolution, but none of the ubuntu resolutions work.

If somebody could tell me what I need to set to make this work, I'd really appreciate it. I'm sure there's a way to do it, I just don't know it.

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
566 Posts
You need a video card with component out, or a DVI->component converter, which will cost more than a new video card with component out more than likely. You also need to make sure the card supports HD.

·
Registered
568 Posts
dvi = digital connection

component = analog connection

You can't mix them without having something in between converting between the two. Your cheapest bet is to get a video card with component output, or you can get a converter like I have that switches the vga to component

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Unless you have a DVI-I, which transmits both analog and digital. DVI-D is digital only, and DVI-A is analog only (which almost nothing uses). Most computers with DVI video cards use DVI-D. So your DVI-Component adapter has no chance of working unless you have a DVI-I output on your computer - even then your card still has to support it. What model is your video card?

Many different ATI cards support this, and nvidia 6600 and 6800 with DVI-I support it.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
My ATI (9600XT, AGP) card has both VGA and DVI outputs, the DVI output is a DVI-I (both digital and analog outputs). It works fine with a DVI to Component adapter (which has a DVD-I connector on one end) to my front projector. Wikipedia has a page on DVI connectors, if needed.

ColBond -- If you were able to connect it directly to your PC, your video card will output analog (component) video from the DVI output on your video card. You need to read the manual for your video card (which you didn't identify - the instructions may be on it's "set-up" disc). There may be some settings you need to make before it works correctly.

It almost sounds like your RCA display isn't getting the right sync signal (like it's the wrong polarity).

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am in a similar situation as Colbond is, I only have component inputs on my HDTV. Currently I have a PowerColor ATI Radeon 9250 and I'm using just the s-video connection. I believe the PowerColor ATI Radeon 9250 has a DVI-I port.

So would a DVI-Component cable work in my situation?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the long reply time, been moving a roommate out and a girlfriend in.

It's a radeon x800 pro. I haven't found anything on whether it's DVI-D or DVI-I. Presumably if I could use a DVI-VGA adapter and have a monitor work, then I could use a DVI - Component and have the TV work, right?

CT_Wiebe - that sounds correct. I'm not sure what settings I'd tweak, as I'm not that familiar with Linux. If you have any suggestions I'll give it a shot and let you know.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
You need to look for the sync "polarity" control, if your card has it. When I tried it with my ATI card, it was correct with the default settings.

Lee11 -- You should try it (VGA to component adapters are the best choice - component connections are analog, after all). You should be able to get a VGA to component cable for around $16 to $25 (depending on length) - don't get suckered into spending a ton of money on Monster cables (CC & BB & Radio Shack). I would recommend getting the shortest one available and getting an extension cable (VGA extensions are the least money), if more length is needed. The www.monoprice.com site is down right now so I can't check their prices (they have the best cables for the lowest prices).

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I can't help you there. We do need to know which video card you do have (manufacturer and model number). Each card is different, so this information is necessary before anyone can provide further help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.