AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given that the RCA DLP does not support 720p through DVI what options are avaiable for a high definition connection between the PC and TV?

What is the quality difference between a DVI connection and a analog component connection?

What is the max distance for component cables....It is approx 25ft from my PC to the television? Do you think I can run component cables over that distance?

Thanks in adavance.

Craig

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Craigger

What is the quality difference between a DVI connection and a analog component connection?

I would say it is considerable. However, have a closer look at the MP (Mike Parker) modded video cards. They supposedly do an excellent job PQ wise.

I suppose VGA is not an option??

_____

Axel

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunately the RCA DLP doesn't have a VGA input so that is not an option. I would be stuck with a component connection using the ATI HDTV adapter...I need to figure out how to split the video card output to both my CRT monitor and HDTV display using ATI's dongle......

Craig

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
What video card do you have?

It is not by any chance a card that allows a dual display set up?

____

Axel

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an ATI AIW 8500DV 64MB....no dual monitor support :(

I figure I could split the VGA output as follows:

DVI-I / VGA Adapter--->vga splitter----->vga1 to monitor

----->vga2 to ati vga/component adapter

pretty convoluted though....maybe I just need a new video card :)

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:
I have an ATI AIW 8500DV 64MB....no dual monitor support :(

I figure I could split the VGA output as follows:

DVI-I / VGA Adapter--->vga splitter----->vga1 to monitor

----->vga2 to ati vga/component adapter

pretty convoluted though....maybe I just need a new video card :)
I am not sure how well this will work.

You could also think about adding a second video card (PCI slot). I had to go that route when I wanted 2 DVI outs and at least one card by ATI. I ended up with an ATI 9700Pro (for my PJ) and a Matrox G450 (for my 16" LCD). This also allows me to run different resolutions 1280x720 and 1280x1024.

____

Axel

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes maybe I will go that route. What PCI vid card would you recommend?

I wonder....could I connect the RCA DLP via DVI using 1080i timings....Using powerstip I could set a resolution of 1280x720 (displays native res) and force 1080i timings??

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:
yes maybe I will go that route. What PCI vid card would you recommend?

I wonder....could I connect the RCA DLP via DVI using 1080i timings....Using powerstip I could set a resolution of 1280x720 (displays native res) and force 1080i timings??
Hmmm, I am bit confused. Your DLP does not support 720p via DVI, even though it is its native res.

Depending on what you what to do with this display, any cheap video card will probably do, as long as it supports res. and refresh rate you want, assuming you do not want to go into heavy gaming (it is a slow PCI card anyway). You might also want to use a non-ATI card to avoid potential conflicts with shared drivers....

_____

Axel

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Why would you want to force 1080i when you have a native 720P device? My suggestion is use powerstrip with your ATI for 720P using DVI.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The RCA DLP does not support 720P through its DVI even though the displays native resolution is 1280x720...go figure......RCA has been blasted in other forums for this "oversight".

So unfortunately I can't pass 720p through the DVI. I believe The DVI input on the RCA is limited to 480i,480p, and 1080i. So everything passed through the DVI will be scaled to the displays native res.

What do you guys think my options are? Would it just be better to go with an analog component connection and forget DVI all together?

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.