AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a mother board (Supermicro Celeron X10SBA) for my HTPC and need to find a audio solution (both to receiver and normal sparkers). It has the following audio output (dual boot ubuntu server 12.04 & Windows 8.1)

HDMI, S/PDIF Digital Output Header, Front panel dual-channel Audio Connector

I want to connect my HTPC to my 2.1 speaker and also to a home theater receiver when I watch movies. I need to use either SPDIF or HDMI output (6 channel out is better). The front panel audio doesn’t work (some issue with driver?, manufacture doesn't support yet) and I don't even know how to get audio from these ports to speakers
, do they need to be decoded for listening to normal speakers? I’m looking for a good and cheap way to do this. What should I buy now? HDMI audio splitter or SPDIF header? thanks

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
You need a receiver with the capability to decode the HDMI signal, which almost all have.

My question is, what speakers do you have, and how much money do you want to spend for the receiver?

Some speakers are harder to drive than others, so that makes a difference in what you want.

A receiver with the best audio quality will start at around $1000, but fairly good ones can be had for $600 or even $300.

The Harman-Kardon AVR 700 is only around $250, so that is a cheap and reasonably good solution.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts