AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Equipment

My Display

- 50" Panasonic Viera Series 2009 G15 (same as G10 except slimmer)

My HTPC

- 17" Gateway P-7811FX Laptop 2008

= it has Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Operating System

My Sound

- 5.1 Samsung Bluray HT-BD1250 HTIB

My Hookup

Gateway HDMI Output ----------- Panasonic HDMI Input #1

Samsung HDMI Output ----------- Panasonic HDMI Input #2

Panasonic Audio Optical Output ----------- Samsung Audio Optical Input

What I want to accomplish

- Play 5.1 Surround Sound or Quality Audio using my HTPC through my 5.1 Surround System

My Problem

- Under Control Panel > Sound

-- I opened Nvidia High Definition and it only has options to "TEST" 2 speakers. It only has 2 channels. I want to set it to 5.

-- The problem is that maybe because my laptop is connected to my TV and my TV only has 2 speakers.

-- My TV outputs via Optical Audio to my HT-BD1250 5.1 Surround System

My Comments

Currently my old Logitech Z-2300 sounds a lot better than my Samsung when using Gateway HTPC. I bought the Samsung HT-BD1250 for the purpose of Bluray movies via renting through Netflix also upgrading my old Z-2300 2.1 speakers into something better in quality and features.

Whenever I watch movies, in MKV and WMV format, on my HTPC; I feel the need to switch to my 2.1 Logitech Z-2300 speakers because it sounds better in quality. Playing using my Samsung 5.1 HT-BD1250; the sound seems muffled.

What I've Done

I've been researching the web regarding this issue. I've Google-ed the following "nvidia hdmi output 5.1", "nvidia high definition audio output 5.1"

My Questions

- Question 1

How do I make my HTPC be able to "TEST" 6 Speakers instead of just 2 via the Sound Properties? Once I am able to let my computer play the 6 speakers, I will be successful.

- Question 2

How do I make my HTPC play 5.1 surround sound?

- Question 3

How do I make my HTPC sound less muffled as explained above?

- Question 4

Can someone point me out to the right direction? I am very experienced with computers, I work for a living for a computer repair (software and hardware).

- Question 5

I set my laptop's audio default to "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" so that it will play sound through the TV's Speakers (which my TV by default plays sound from my Home Theatre) instead of my Laptop's Speakers. The problem is that since my TV only has 2 speakers, it only shows options for 2-channels.

Any way to trick my computer to make my TV display 5.1?

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you are using the G15 to pass through the audio to your AVR then you will only get 2 channel it will not pass 5.1. I have the G10 so I am familiar with this panel. In order to get 5.1 sound to your AVR you would have to send its sound via spdif assuming your laptop has this ability. if it does not maybe a USB sound card would be your solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did it work. I have a similar set up and am not getting any sound out of my 1250. I ran an optical from my HTPC to the samsung.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts