AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

I could use some help with my HTPC.

I recently updated the BIOS to latest and then did a fresh install of Win 7. When it finished, my image to the projector has a VERY distinct pinkish/purpleish tint to it. It's VERY pronounced and almost feels like a monochrome image.

I thought it was a video card issue and after some attempts to correct it, i switched from the built in Nvidia 9300 to a new ATI 5670 and it's producing the exact same image.

Equipment: Asus P5N7A-VM (same result multiple BIOS versions), Saphire 5670 video card, Optoma HD80 projector (never been updated, purchased when first came out, 200 hours on it).

I have already tried swaping out the HDMI cables, going directly from the HTPC to the projector, 2nd HDMI port on the projector - same results.

Verizon FIOS via HDMI works fine as well as an older HTPC using the same HDMI port. it appears to be realted specifically to this HTPC.

Also, HTPC output to Panasonic 50" plasma is perfect as well. Only the projector tied to the HTPC is an issue.

Any ideas out there, I am running out of ideas and missing my projector

·
Registered
317 Posts
that's an interesting problem, especially given your switch from the on-board Nvidia to a separate ATI, which makes it seem even less like a driver issue.

Answer this--when you boot up the system, is the windows 7 logo and BIOS screen in the appropriate color, or does it also have that purple tint?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

The BIOS screen and Windows 7 logo appear to be correct colors.

It seems that it changes sometime during the black screen after the Windows logo and before the desktop shows.

What I don't get is how could it follow through to a new video card with a different gpu on it. I might try another fresh load of Win 7 on there. It must be core OS issue since same hardware did not produce issue previously. I wish I had not upgraded the BIOS at the same time. I don;t know if that is related to the issue or not. It did not make a difference flashing back to the old BIOS though.

·
Registered
317 Posts
reinstalling is definitely a good idea since you know the problem is software related now.

i wouldn't be surprised if some of the Nvidia graphics drivers mucked it up. If you wanted to try something before the reinstall, i'd recommend uninstalling ALL Nvidia and ATI drivers, and just letting windows pick its own, and see what happens.

·
Registered
537 Posts
get a new HDMI cable.. most likely that is your problem. I had a monitor do the exact same thing when one of the pin's on the DVI connector got bent. its possible one of the pins in the HDMI cable are bent as well, on either end.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryder /forum/post/18259833

get a new HDMI cable.. most likely that is your problem. I had a monitor do the exact same thing when one of the pin's on the DVI connector got bent. its possible one of the pins in the HDMI cable are bent as well, on either end.

Really? And this happened to both of his HDMI cables that he tried?

Quote:
I have already tried swaping out the HDMI cables, going directly from the HTPC to the projector, 2nd HDMI port on the projector - same results.

Just to verify. You have loaded a movie on this computer and the movie itself also has this color issue, right? It's not just your window's desktop/program screen?

You could try changing your windows theme and see if it maybe 'resets' your desktop colors.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, removed all NVidia drivers, same result.

Complete fresh install of Win 7, including format of the hard drive, SAME RESULT

Perhaps I will change out the motherboard to something else.

·
Registered
317 Posts
no way its' the cable, since the bootup is just fine.

and you tried the separate ATI card and you disabled the nvidia graphics via the BIOS, yes??

you mentioned that this started happening when you updated the bios and updated to Win7.....have you tried reverting back to your older BIOS?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike, thanks for your continued help. I appreciate it.

I tried reverting to 3 older versions of the BIOS with same results. It might make a difference loading old BIOS and then fresh install of Win 7. It's funny that same hardware running Win Vista works fine, even with updated BIOS.

It would seem to be a motherboard / Win 7 / BIOS issue that I might not get anywhere with. I think a new board is in my near future..

·
Registered
317 Posts
disappointing and mind boggling. just for *** and giggles, are you running x86 or x64 version of Win7?

Just shooting in the dark now, i have no idea :-( if there was *any* chance you could replace the board with an identical model, i'd be super curious if that solved it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's x86 32bit.

I can see that this is going to be one of those issues I will never get anywhere with.

I am giving up and ordering a new board.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Only good thing about these situations is so you can get the wife to accept that a 'whole new' MB/CPU/RAM and maybe video if it's getting outdated needs to be purchased

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Have you looked to see if you can switch off the EDID or have your video driver NOT interrogate the display device? Seems there's a timing issue, or sync issue going on with the PJ based on the signal it's getting. I get that PURPLE screen when I toggle my HTPC from a VGA 19" to my HDMI 1280x720p Sony AW15 - it lasts only a second or two, blanks and reappears with the correct image. I can't say whether it's the HTPC (N9500GT) or the pj who is 'working' during these 5 seconds... that's why I mention the communication between the two. Oh, and I'm HDMI connected through my Onkyo 8xx A/V receiver... can't say whether it is causing the HTPC to think something else about the resolution capability or not. I think buying new equipment is a bit of a stretch until you know why. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update : No solution.

New motherboard, new video card( ATI & Nvidia), fresh loads of Windows 7, Vista and XP. - same result.

Windows base VGA drivers do not produce the issue. It's only when I load advanced drivers do I see this issue.

Andrew, perhaps you are on to something here. Not sure why it would have changed with a simply upgrade to the OS on the same computer but I accept the fact that this stuff can be very tempermental.

I guess I need to figure out how to check for timing and EDID issues on this setup. It never ends does it

Thanks for help to all that responded!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Mike,

go to your projectors advanced settings and set the color space to another selection. I've seen this happen a few times on my system (ATI HD4870), and that's my solution.

MIne has 4 choices, RGB, RGB Video, REC709, REC601. Lately, since I went back to the February 09 ATI drivers, everything works great on auto, but if I update, forget it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
K-Spaz: My projector has RGB & YCbCr as options. When connected through the Denon, I can't change from YCbCr. The screen goes blank and I need to switch my 1x2 HDMI switch to another output and then back again but same issue and YCbCr is still set.

When connected directly from HTPC to projector, RGB is selected and I cannot seem to change to YCbCr, it reverts as soon as it syncs up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Running out of ideas. Would something like the Geffen HDMI doctor help in this situation? It seems like any new drivers for any current display cards are going to be a problem.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Walsh /forum/post/18302507

Update : No solution.

New motherboard, new video card( ATI & Nvidia), fresh loads of Windows 7, Vista and XP. - same result.

Windows base VGA drivers do not produce the issue. It's only when I load advanced drivers do I see this issue.

Andrew, perhaps you are on to something here. Not sure why it would have changed with a simply upgrade to the OS on the same computer but I accept the fact that this stuff can be very tempermental.

I guess I need to figure out how to check for timing and EDID issues on this setup. It never ends does it

Thanks for help to all that responded!

So you've achieved continuity over OS now. And with the base VGA drivers you don't have issue (meaning you have NOT loaded the Catalyst drivers, right?). And when you load the Catalyst (advanced) drivers you get this, right? WHAT VERSION of Catalyst driver are you running? I know 9.8 was stable and I think the newest 10.2 may be good but I just build a new system with the 4200 iGPU on-board so my following of their bugs is not the best... I'm still testing it at my bench.

As far as EDID timing, there should be a box to check to tell it not to interrogate automatically, but only when you force it. This option allows you to keep settings between reboots and power cycles of your receiver, PJ, and such. One guy mentioned the HDMI cable - is it excessively long, like over 25-feet? While HDMI is digital and 1's & 0's, degraded signal can get choppy.

Have you tried a different resolution to the PJ? Try a 720p, both 1080i & 1080p signals and a few others -- it may hint at something. As another poster said, there are 'color-spaces' in which these videos operate. Since you're using HDMI it gets confusing that you're NOT trying to use the YPrPb or RGB as input, but as a colorspace. Look in the ADVANCED section of your CCC and see if changing those effects this... I'll be hooking mine up to my Sony AW15 (yes, a mere 720p sibling :-( ) soon and hope to NOT experience these issues.

I would suggest that if your 9300 iGPU was working before, that you might should remove the ATi card for now thereby simplifying troubleshooting - UNLESS you have a need to get the ATi card running for audio or some other reason, or if someone takes issue with the nVidia and prefers the ATi (for cause).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for continued support Andrew.

Catalyst 10.2 is what I was loading.

I tried nearly all resolutions, frequencys and a few manually enabled timings to see if it helped, no difference.

Multiple HDMI cables, shortest one tried was 7'. Normal cable to projector is 35' though. No difference.

Using a direct from HTPC to projector I tried switch the color space from RGB & YCbCr and changing resolutions one each with no effect.

I could pull the board and new GPU and go back to my old 9300 iGPU but this issue started with that setup. I upgraded to latest BIOS and then loaded fresh copy of Windows 7 with latest drivers and that's when the issue hit me.

I am beginning to think that this is related to latest advanced drivers for both ATI and nvidia GPUs. Perhaps a fresh load of Vista on the old board with iGPU and old drivers might answer that. However, at some point i will need to upgrade and it seems like I will be sunk when that happens if that fixes it for now.

BTW, old HTPC using Nvidia 6800(gs I think) GPU card works just fine with 2 plus year old video drivers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts