AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading my 6 yr old desktop. I use it for browsing, light media editing, and light gaming. My home theater area is downstairs. I do not want to move the PC downstairs. Is there a way I can still use it as a HTPC? I would like to be able to record tv and other things you can't do with an xbox or wdtv (which I also have).

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
to use the xbox:

the cable line would go into the computer, and then the computer would be connected to your home network. the xbox will also be connected to your home network.

the recording will be done on the computer's hard drive, and any other media you have saved will be stored there. the xbox in Media Center Extender mode will log into your pc and start a session as a new user, allowing you to open live tv, record tv, archived music/movies/pictures/etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 /forum/post/20858260

to use the xbox:

the cable line would go into the computer, and then the computer would be connected to your home network. the xbox will also be connected to your home network.

the recording will be done on the computer's hard drive, and any other media you have saved will be stored there. the xbox in Media Center Extender mode will log into your pc and start a session as a new user, allowing you to open live tv, record tv, archived music/movies/pictures/etc.

makes sense, so i'll just need a good tuner card to hook the cable into. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
The 360 is definitely a good start, and may be all you need. Some other advantages are you can watch live TV from the PC tuner and can manage your DVR. The 360 is weak when it comes to videos because it is limited in what formats you can use and it just can't handle 1080p.

But first, what is your TV provider and what do you expect to be able to record? Only local channels or also cable channels?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte /forum/post/0

The 360 is definitely a good start, and may be all you need. Some other advantages are you can watch live TV from the PC tuner and can manage your DVR. The 360 is weak when it comes to videos because it is limited in what formats you can use and it just can't handle 1080p.

But first, what is your TV provider and what do you expect to be able to record? Only local channels or also cable channels?

We have cox cable, not digital though. I'd like to record cable shows, not sure if I can though.

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork_the_N00b /forum/post/20860221

We have cox cable, not digital though. I'd like to record cable shows, not sure if I can though.

You'd need to rent cable card from cox and place it in a Centon or HDHomerun Prime to pick up encrypted cable stations to record. Otherwise, you can record unencrypted qam with other tuners as well.

I'm using the HDHomerun and Hauppauge 2250 to have 4 tuners total.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Go here and type in your zip. Make sure to change the drop down from Digital Antenna to your cable provider. This list will show you what channels your cable is currently offering in ClearQAM. Keep in mind that the cable company is only required to offer local channels in ClearQAM and can move any other channel to encrypted QAM without warning.

Almost any tuner today supports ClearQAM. To get encrypted cable, you'd need a Ceton or HDHomerun Prime as mentioned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.