Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I don't visit the HTPC forum that much, since I was deciding with tv to get. I finally got a JVC 48WP30 and now I'm looking for an OTA tuner.

Since cost is very important to me, buying an HDTV PC card became a very attractive solution. Plus you have recording capabilities (I have a 120Gb HD).

I research about HiPix and AccessDTV cards, but I admit that I need to make some more research on this. But I have a very basic doubt that may kill this whole possibility for me.

I have a big limitation on my set-up: tv in the living room and PC in the office. So, I would need to have ~15ft cables running from my PC to my TV. I would need component cables and coaxical digital for DD5.1. For the remote, I could buy a IR repeater, so this is not a big issue.

So, my question is this:

Would 15ft cables kill altogether the possibility of using an HDTV PC card, because of interference or any other technical reason? Also consider that I would like to have access to all basic operation using the remote for the card, since I don't want to keep going to the office to change channels or recording HDTV.

As soon as I found a solution for my case (if there's a solution!), I'll make some deeper research on which card to get and which features to look for.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I am using cables 15' long, without any problems, in a setup something like you want. This includes a HiPix HDTV board.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you get a vga cable from a quality source like Better Cables or Markertek, 15 ft should be no problem, and coax for spdif is also no problem. I can't believe you didn't mention the MyHD card, if you're considering the AccessDTV and HiPix cards - it is the latest entry in the HDTV card race, and a pretty good contender. But as you say, you don't visit the HTPC forum much. There is a lot of information here!

Al

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I obtained two 25' good quality VGA cables from Digital Connection. They both run from my control room into my theater/office. One is for a 21" monitor the other goes to my VT540 projector. I have had excellent results (and I have one or two Kramer switches in the path depending upon what device is selected on the projector).

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.

Al,

As I told you, I didn't research deep enough about which card to get, because I wanted to make sure the long distance would not kill the whole idea. Since it seems this is not a big problem, I'll try to gather information about all cards.

I just mentioned those two, because they are available on the digital connection web site and I don't know where to find the MyHD card.

One last question. Do you have to keep going to the other room for basic operations? What's possible to operate from the tv room using a remote? Does this bother you (or wife)?

Thanks

·
Registered
449 Posts
DigitalConnection sells the myHD card too!

Also, you can setup an infrared eye in your living room and have it repeat and blast the signal in your office, that's at least one solution. There are others, but that's a fairly common solution for controlling equipment "remotely."

Jeff

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
My home theater insanity started about ten years ago. Because of this long standing illness, I have an eclectic collection of gear. Some of it can be controlled remotely, some cannot. In particular, switching between HD video sources for the projector, and between analog and digital (5.1) audio is manual. Just the sheer number of devices in my rack is enough to make my wife's skin crawl. My son (11) is a bit more adept at it, but it still took them 15 minutes to set up an HTPC DVD movie with sound last night when I was out coaching a soccer game. It looks simple enough to me :D

P.S. The MyHD card is also available at Digital Connection

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.