AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just beginning to build up a HTPC. Right now I have the following traditional video sources..

Satellite (SVIDEO)

DVD Player (SVIDEO)

VCR (SVIDEO)

All of the video sources go into a Proceed AVP and are switched up to my scaler a Faroudja DVP 3000 this scales the signal up to 960P and into a Runco DTV 991 rear projection screen (really makes satellite TV look nice).

The plan (so far) is to use the HTPC to replace the DVD player and use the PC for music and video storage as well as an HDTV tuner with the MDP-120 HDTV tuner card.

I have a VGA input on the faroudja so I can go right from the MDP-120 using the VGA pass thru) into the faroudja. I would have the MDP-120 output a 720P signal. The faroudja should pass thru that signal and not process it. The Runco will be OK with a 720P signal.

Now my question/concern is what to do with the PC's output i.e. the desktop. Is my goal to get it to feel like a 720P signal so the TV doesn't get confused or can I manipulate its frequency and timing independent of the MDP-120 output.

Or should I start drinking now?

I will also test out the idea of using the MDP-120 as my scaler in place of the faroudja, but that's a project for another snowy weekend!

I'd appreciate any insight you could share.

Chad

·
Registered
809 Posts
You'll need to use Powerstrip to set custom timings and resolutions for the PC output. The MyHD has an option for 720p output so you won't need to mess with it. When the MyHD is outputting full screen it displays just like an STB. Powerstrip will only affect the PC desktop resolution when not viewing full screen HD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.