AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm also just getting into this. From what I have read Intelliremote may be easier to use than Event Ghost, although it is not free.

You will be able to turn the HTPC Off. The problem is turning it back On. With most PCs in the fully off state there is no power to the components that could sense the IR commands to turn it back on. Most people use Standby - S3 sleep. I prefer that anyway, because it comes back on much quicker and still uses very little power.

One way to deal with the need to turn it back on is a relay contact across the power push button on the PC. The IR receiver pulses the relay. This simulates the action of pushing the button to turn it on. I haven't found anything commercially available to do this. If not it becomes a DIY job. And as I said I prefer Standby anyway.

Good luck.

Rod

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can turn your computer off and on (not just from sleep, but on and off) using a $20 antec veris dock (it takes 1 drive bay and it hooks internally to the computers PSU). It uses Imon software and comes with a remote, but if you want to use it to turn off your receiver as well you'll need to buy a harmony remote to use with it (the remote that comes with the dock wont work with the receiver, just the computer).

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaneva /forum/post/19608327

... but if you want to use it to turn off your receiver as well you'll need to buy a harmony remote to use with it (the remote that comes with the dock wont work with the receiver, just the computer).

Why a Harmony remote? Pretty much any decent universal remote will work.

I would go the sleep route instead of full power off. Much easier to deal with and you don't have to limit yourself to the iMon solution. The easiest way is my method, just leave the PC on 24/7.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts