AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Live in Atlanta, so the month of August can get real hot. Lately, my HTPC has been sending the fan(s) into overdrive. Now, I don't know exactly what the issue is (assuming it's heat), so I'm looking for some help from all of you.

Here are my HWMonitor readings.

Can anyone tell if the CPU temps are high? Not sure what's considered "normal" for this AMD chip.

Assuming it's the stock CPU fan that's causing the noise, what's the best way to fix the problem? Should I limit the fan RPM? If so, how? Or should I purchase a replacement?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Fan at 3500 RPM must be very loud. Go to BIOS setup, Advanced > Smart Fan Configuration, where you can control the fan speed (intelligently based on the CPU temperature).

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erighan
Hello everyone. Live in Atlanta, so the month of August can get real hot. Lately, my HTPC has been sending the fan(s) into overdrive. Now, I don't know exactly what the issue is (assuming it's heat), so I'm looking for some help from all of you.

Can anyone tell if the CPU temps are high? Not sure what's considered "normal" for this AMD chip.

Assuming it's the stock CPU fan that's causing the noise, what's the best way to fix the problem? Should I limit the fan RPM? If so, how? Or should I purchase a replacement?
The CPU cooler/fan that comes with AMD CPUs, like your Athlon II 3 core, are IMO inadequate not to mention noisy.

Try renethx's suggestion 1st, but odds are you'll need to buy a replacement CPU cooler/fan.

Several Cooler Master are great value: for a case that's at least 8" wide get a C.M. Hyper 212+; for a case that's less than 8" wide get a C.M. GeminII S.

If you're not adverse to getting a better/quieter case (120mm front/back fans = quieter than 80mm fans) try Antec Three Hundred Illusion (mid tower) as it's the least expensive 8" wide that I've used and permits use of the C.M. Hyper 212+.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
those temps seem fine. Mine runs at 46-52 and I thought that was hot lol. Try lowering the fans thru SpeedFan. Run it as admin.

-Kevin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.