AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I operate the LCD Buyer's Guide at Anandtech (mainly oriented toward choosing displays for PC monitors). While I do have an HTPC section, it's been tough keeping up with the LCD TV industry. I would like to hear some suggestions as to the best 37 and 42" HTPC LCDs (8-bit, minimal banding, etc). As far as I understand it, most panels in this sector are made by AU Optronics and Chi Mei (being P-MVA or S-MVA). If you could point me toward any S-IPS panels that would also be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The ones you have mention are what FUNAI uses on my Emerson EWL3706 37" Widescreen LCD HDTV. Right now I am typing this reply using the EWL3706 in 16:9.

As for HTPC stuff have you gone over to the www.gbpvr.com or forums.gbpvr.com where I am ususally there since 2004. To me that one of the best HTPC software out there for now next to MCE 2005 from MS. GBPVR works better with HAU PVR-150 and HAU Media MVP network streaming boxes.

On my HTPC GBPVR Server box I have Westhinghouse L19w4 HD 19" Widescreen monitor 1440x900

·
Registered
735 Posts
Out of curiosity, why do you think there is any real world, functional difference with LCD panels that accomplish wide viewing angles through "multi-domain" (MVA panels) or in-plane switched panels (IPS)?

DB

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tipstir: Interesting...I assume the GB-PVR forum knows about LCD TVs?

DBLASS: IPS screens are inherently wider angle. I'm not sure of the technicalities but I believe it's because they leak the least light.

Does anyone have any more specific recommendations?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Both In-plane switching and multi-domain (MVA) are two different approaches to minimize the effects of birefringence (that color shift/fading LCDs get at off angle). There is little differnence in the performance.

Light leaking per se, is not it although it is interesting to see if the contrast ratios are differnent. Contrast ratio figures are essentially the "score" of how well the display blocks light in a darkroom. Since the two techniques are a differnent approach (IPS uses two transistors and twists laterally and MVA uses two tilt angles in the alignment layer) the results could be different.

You right, it would be interesting to see if there really is much of a functional difference.

DB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.