AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been scouring the forums trying to find any info on this topic with no luck. I'm not sure if this topic is more appropriate for this forum or the Mac forum, but I put it here since my main HTPC is Windows based.

I'm running a Windows 7 HTPC. My wife and I each have Macbook Pros. My ultimate goal is to use my HTPC as a media server and stream stored content - previously recorded TV, CDs, DVDs and BDs - to the Macbook Pros. I also have a HDHomerun on the server and I would like to stream live TV to the Macbooks, preferably with the ability to pause and rewind if at all possible.

Here are my questions for anybody who does this or something similar:

1) What is the best format to rip CDs, DVDs and BDs for playback on both PCs and Macs? What ripping software do you use? My preference is to rip to lossless formats for everything and only rip the main movie/soundtrack for DVDs and BDs - no menus or extra features needed.

2) I know VLC will play just about anything, but I would really love to use a prettier front end like XBMC or something. Is there a better front end for the Mac that can accomplish this? I like Plex, but I think I can get the TV streams working in XBMC, which is why I'm leaning there. Although a separate program for the TV stream is fine.

3) This one might be better in the Mac forum, but for HDHomerun users... what do you use for your Macs and do you have pause and rewind functionality? I don't really care much about recording directly to the Mac - any recordings will be done on the HTPC and then I can just stream those recordings to the Mac if I want.

Thanks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Answer to questions 2 & 3, Elgato EyeTV should be able to do everything you mentioned. It supports the hdhomerun very well for live tv. Its not free tho' and costs around $150, I think. I seriously considered a mac mini for my htpc, before I built my windows 7 based htpc.

I'm not familiar with Mac supported formats, but the latest macs should be able to play the most common video formats including dvr-ms.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
DVR software options for OS X are woefully thin. I gave up on this idea after deciding I didn't want to pay for EyeTV.

Apple has decided the way of the future is to download video from iTunes, and hasn't paid any attention to DVR-related products. This reasoning has basically made a Microsoft customer of me.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanga /forum/post/18147602

DVR software options for OS X are woefully thin. I gave up on this idea after deciding I didn't want to pay for EyeTV.

Apple has decided the way of the future is to download video from iTunes, and hasn't paid any attention to DVR-related products. This reasoning has basically made a Microsoft customer of me.

I feel your pain.

Per XBMC:

PVR Frontend: Probably the most requested feature for XBMC. This will provide a unified experience to your choice of PVR backends such as: VDR, MythTV, Tvheadend, and MediaPortal TVserver.

But - of course - no ETA.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
For accessing a unified EPG and frontend from your HTPC and have it also be common across your mac laptops with full DVR and live TV support, SageTV is probably the most full featured option.

It's not free, you would need a server license and a client/placeshifter license for each laptop, but it offers some nice features that let you watch TV instead of play with video on your networked computers.

www.sagetv.com

-Suntan

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanga /forum/post/18147602

Allowing you to DVR programs for free conflicts with the iTunes sales of TV shows. Apple just LOVES to keep their hands in your pocket, even after you buy their overpriced machines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.