AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok .. so I know that HDMI is pretty much the standard, but unfortunately, I can ether buy a new TV or make an HTPC... I would rather put together an HTPC, since I would get more out of that.

I am having trouble finding any brand new mobo's that have S-Video, and I totally understand why.

My question is...does anyone have a suggestion on an older mobo with s-video??

Thanks in advance for any advice

C

·
Registered
837 Posts
I agree. I'd buy a nice mobo then add a cheap $10 old videocard with s-video. I bet i have an old x300 pcie card with s-video laying around somewhere if you can't find one locally

·
Registered
216 Posts
There's a handful of ITX mobos out there with S-Video and a number of Radeon HD 4350 cards with S-Video on them. (Seems like S-Video dries up after that card.)

I've been looking to make a small client with S-Video or Component out to a 25" direct view (tube) TV in the bedroom.

It seems like it might be possible that Component adapters/dongles could work for me... but I'd have to try it to see if works, as there's no info on VGA/Component dongles past like 2+ years ago.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendalpusher /forum/post/18231299

My question is...does anyone have a suggestion on an older mobo with s-video??

One of the Intel Atom mobos, D945GCLF2, had s-video output on the back panel. I think is was the "2" suffix that indicated that it had s-video. You might still find it at a retailer.

A lot of the socket 939 mobos with integrated 6150 GPU had s-video, but it often was only a 3 or 4-pin header, and you had to buy or make a cable & bracket w/the DIN connector. Perhaps you should check out the the current socket AM2/AM2+ motherboards with nVidia 6150 GPU; you might have to download the user manuals to get the full specs.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
The last mb with IGP that support S-/component/composite video were around 2007. There has been no IGP supporting HDTV analog since then.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/18232621

The last mb with IGP that support S-/component/composite video were around 2007. There has been no IGP supporting HDTV analog since then.

But the OP was only asking for s-video, not component.

The D945GCLF2 I purchased about a half year ago certainly has an s-video port on its rear panel. I have set the desktop resolution (both Win7 and Mythbuntu) to 1024x768, and the TV would display that desktop image from that Intel mobo's s-video port. Yes, I understand that s-video is 480i analog.

Regards

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
IGP (GMA 950) itself does not support S-video. In fact VGA is the *only* format GMA 950 supports natively. Yup, a 945G mb could support S-video, composite video, component video, DVI, and/or HDMI via SDVO + a third-party ADD2 chip, however.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW! ... thanks for all the great information.

These forums rock.

I really appreciate it.

I think I am going to take the mobo+video card route. that way if I do upgrade my TV, I won't have to swap out the pc also.

Thanks again,

Chris

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
If you want to upgrade TV on the cheap look at Craigslist. LOTS of 2002-2005 HD CRT based rear projection sets for under $500. Got my WS65513 for $100 2 years ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts