AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the question I have....I have ripped my videos to blue-ray MKV format keeping the truehd, etc using MakeMKV.

So my PS3 had to have PS3 meida server, my WD HD Live works great with it , but my iphone, Ipad will not accept MKV...my apple tv doesn..etc. etc. etc.

So here is my question: I have a great setup for my home theater. DVD covers, sound, seating, everything. I have been ripping to MKV, but I am wanting to stream to other rooms. So I have tried a few set-top devices....WD HD Live being one of them and Apple TV.

OTher than the point that some of you hate Apple, what video format are you using? Should i just rip two formats like MP4 for iphone, etc. and then full MKV for my blu-ray HD sound? If I recall, MP4 can't hold trueHD sound....if it can, then I could just do everything MP4...

Any thoughts on any of this?

I would rather stick with one format for everything, but it appears this just isn't going to give me what I want.

Stephen

·
Registered
542 Posts
apple tries hard to be compatible with nothing .... thats how they operate. maybe format all your stuff to work in quicktime?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
We don't really watch on the PS3. If we do, it's usually a physical Blu-ray disc that we want to watch right away and not have to wait to finish ripping (the Blu-ray drive is on my workstation and not on the HTPC).

I just rip to Blu-ray ISO (seems to work best with commercial Blu-ray players) and create a separate encode for mobile and standalone devices (MP4: H.264 + 2-ch/AAC).

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have an iPhone and an iPad so I want everything in .m4v format. For .mkv files there is a Mac tool called MKVTools that will remux (so no loss of quality) an MKV into an Apple compatible .m4v adding an AAC 2.0 track for iDevice use. It's worked flawlessly for me.

The downside is that is Mac only and I haven't found any Windows tools that can do the same and I've looked. Luckily I have a friend who had an old Mac Mini sitting in his closet which I now use headless (via TightVNC) just for remuxing purposes.

On my Win7 HTPC with MPC-HC (and before that Shark codecs) the .m4v play flawlessly, just as well as any .mkv.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.