AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a collection of high quality (192/24 & 96/24) flac recordings. I have many cd's and thousands of mp3's.

I've tried mediamonkey 3 and 4 beta, JRiver, MPC HD, WMC, VLC...

The deal breaker is the music player must play flac.

I use HDMI from my HTPC to my new 7.1 Denon AVR and pass-thru to HDTV.

At the end of the day, which music media player do you recommend?

TIA

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I use WMP7/WMC7 with a flac codec, setup the cds in WMP and play them in WMC7. I pass all my audio through to my AVR.

1. I like the way the interface looks when playing cds in WMC.

2. Its free with Windows.

3. Never had any problems playing flac files with the codec.

4. Both my Music and Movies are in one application, WMC.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger /forum/post/20814019

I use WMP7/WMC7 with a flac codec, setup the cds in WMP and play them in WMC7. I pass all my audio through to my AVR.

1. I like the way the interface looks when playing cds in WMC.

2. Its free with Windows.

3. Never had any problems playing flac files with the codec.

4. Both my Music and Movies are in one application, WMC.

No WASAPI for music coming out of WMC/WMP. I've tried to use Reclock to "fix" the WASAPI issue WMP12 + madFlac + ReClock

So if you have any DVDA 5.1 rips, you are out of luck with WMC. It will play them, but just not in the proper channels.

JRiver MC is the Audiophile's Choice hands down.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Foobar2000 with wasapi output to receiver via toslink for decoding. I also have a large collection of high rez files along with 16bit FLAC and mp3's. Foobar handles them all seamlessly. It has a nice customizable interface that displays the meta data.

I have never used JRiver..any of you users compared it to Foobar?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have had very good experience with J. River. Very customizable and the audio quality is top notch IMO. I have it automatically setup to open up in Theater view and control everything from a remote. My wife can even use it and it is quality software.

The interface is easy to use and it really does have audiophile quality output. Plus you can select either wasapi, ASIO or any other output format you want.

·
Registered
730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman /forum/post/0

Foobar2000 with wasapi output to receiver via toslink for decoding. I also have a large collection of high rez files along with 16bit FLAC and mp3's. Foobar handles them all seamlessly. It has a nice customizable interface that displays the meta data.

Ditto on that.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit /forum/post/20894899

You could also check out their free player Media Jukebox: http://www.jriver.com/mj/

No ASIO support makes it pretty useless to me... I will instantly buy a paid version that supports ASIO...

The built-in DSP support is the main advantage it has over Mediamonkey...

And NO, I don't want the full media center, that is for the intelligent ones...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like WMC because it's easy to generate playlists on the fly and it has a good interface. I also like WMC's photo slideshow which plays all your favourite pictures seasmlessly. I could watch it all day.

I doubt that the audio playback would be as good as JRMC, if you're an audiophile. Perhaps there is a way to integrate the JRMC player into WMC.

Perhaps you can use WMC when you are having a party and JRMC for solo listening sessions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.