AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Mits 65908 and I'm trying to set up a P2-333 / Voodoo 5 5500 HTPC for DVD upscaling and other HTPC experimentation. My set has one DTV input, several 480p inputs, and a VGA input. The manual clearly states that the VGA input is limited to 640x480, but when I read this FAQ I thought I might be able to get 540p or 1080i to work through the VGA connection using PowerStrip.

So my first question is ... are there any Mits owners here that can confirm whether I can get higher than 480p on my VGA input? I've tried several slight variations in frequencies to get 540p with no luck.

I'm also toying with the idea of buying a VGA -> RGB cable and trying my DTV input, but I'd rather it not come to this solution because I've only got the one 1080i input. I don't want to have an in-line switch for my HDTV and HTPC signals.

Advice?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I use custom resolutions on a Mits WS-55805 via the HDTV inputs (VGA 15-Pin to 5 BNC (RGBHV)) without problems (powerstrip, of course). My TV lacks the VGA input, but I have a feeling custom resolutions will work via the VGA input.

I'd give it a try, and if it fails to sync properly, switch back to 640x480 quickly (usually you can just hit the key). Do not leave it without sync for any length of time as this may damage the set.

The 960x540p resolution in powerstrip may be a good one to try first.

Good luck,

Mike.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump ... any Mits owners who can confirm 540p or 1080i through the VGA input?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yep. I use a Crystal Image scaler at 540p into the RGBHV inputs of my 65" Mits. On the pass-through, I've got a DTC-100 sat box that outputs 1080i for HDTV. The Mits syncs to both.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"the pass-through"

What's that? Is that the VGA input?

·
Registered
988 Posts
It's a VGA connector on the scaler that allows the signal from the DTC-100 to go directly through without processing. That way, both the scaler and sat box can be connected to the RGBHV inputs, controlled by the scaler.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is through the DTV rgbhv inputs correct. I don't think the set will synv to anything other tha t640/480i on the vga port. I have a 65" mits that I use. I have my ati 7500 radeon aiw connected to the vga port. I have been looking at a transcoder and a component switch to connect the pc at 1080i on the dtv inputs along with my hd decoder

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I realize I could get a VGA->RGBHV cable and connect my HTPC to the DTV input on my Mits to get 540p and possibly 1080i, but if I do that I'll have to get a component switcher or something in order to share that one 1080i input with both the HTPC and my HDTV signal (from the TW HD Cable box).

I'm starting to think this will be the only way to get higher than 640x480p from the HTPC, though, because it looks like the VGA input doesn't support higher resolutions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am in the same boat. The xcoder and switch option is about $350 dollars total or more. I don't want to spend that much if there is only a minimal gain in DVD playback quality. It already looks great at 640 x480. By the way is the native res of the radeon 640x480i or 640x480p?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.