AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if having an HTPC is better than a Progressive scan DVD player. If so, why and what equipment would I need to hook it up to a HDready RPTV? I currently own a JVC723 progressive player, so how much of an improvement if any would I see on a 55" screen?...on a screen?

Here is my current computer equipment:

Pentium III 733 w/128mb SDRAM

Acer 16x DVD ROM, Nvidia GeForce 2 GTS 32mb video card

Hercules Game Theater XP sound card

Cambridge SoundWorks Desktop Theater 2500

PowerDVD version 3.0

·
Registered
129 Posts
MaxC,

I followed advices here and got myself the Radeon LE and WinDVD 2.3/2.6.4. The result is great.

My friend's Pioneer S77 (cannot remember the exact model name) progressive scan player output is less perfect than my HTPC.

PIII 733, Asus P3BF, 256MB DRAM, Radeon LE DDR 32, Pioneer 106s, c-media cheapo but does s/pdif job well on DD and DTS under WinDVD 2.3.

Windows 2000 sp2, directX 8.0a.

Good luck using your HTPC.

dan

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you hook it up to the TV? The TV needs to be hooked up by component wires to recognize a progressive signal right? Does the Radeon have component outputs?

I don't think the Pioneer is a true progressive player, doesn't it just do line doubling?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If your TV can do better than 480P, a HTPC would be useful. Otherwise I wouldnt worry.

HTPC's are great for projectors because you can scale, 540P, 600P, 666P, 720P 1080i etc, and that's the real strength.

Hook-Up: You'll need a VGA to Component transcoder for most TV's. Do a search for transcoders and you'll find lotsa info.

To my knowledge, DVD's are interlaced (720x480i) and a progressive DVD player just does hardware de-interlacing as opposed to a HTPC, which does software de-interlace/scaling.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed that a lot of people using a HTPC have a software or hardware called Powerstrip. What does this do and do I need it?

Also someone mentioned getting a dscaler. What is this and where can I get this and/or the Powerstrip from?

Also is WinDVD better or worse than PowerDVD, if so why?

·
Registered
123 Posts
MaXc,

>>I noticed that a lot of people using a HTPC have a software or

>> hardware called Powerstrip. What does this do and do I need

>>it?

Powerstrip allows you to set up a custom resolution on your computer..to output and display 540p,720p,or 1080i to your HDTV (depending on what your HDTV is capable of receiving)

>>Also is WinDVD better or worse than PowerDVD, if so why?

That's a can of worms there... depends on who you ask..

this is what I did.... I tried all the different players on my box..picked what I liked..reformatted it (again) then ran the ones I liked...

I run:

ATI player for DD cds

WindDVD3.0 for DTS DVDs

Read around the forum more on different Software DVD players and compatibility issues...

Enjoy,

bfk

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about Dscaler? Is that similar to Powerstrip?

I can see that HTPC is seems to be better for video quality, but what about sound? Does it do DD and DTS just as well? Does it just send the info to your receiver and have the receiver's decoder read it? Does it connect to your receiver via digital cable?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.