AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Here's a rundown of my specs:

PC - 2.8ghz dual core Dell xps400 w/2 GB Ram, Geforce 6800 256MB, 250GB hard drive, Soundblaster Audigy 2 (no daughterboard or accessory board).

RCA RT-2500 5.1 DTS/Dolby Digital capable receiver and speakers

DirecTV HD service.

Mitsubishi HD1000U.

Question 1)

How do I get surround sound DTS or Dolby from the computer to the receiver?

(I've already hooked up a 3.5mm rca cable to the coax (CD) input on the receiver and I can get stereo)

Question 2)

How do I send the right resolution to the projector (1280x720)?

(I've got the geforce running dualview and have the resolution set manually for the projector, which recognizes it as 720p, but whenever the any video starts it drops to xga60)

These are the two things that bug me the most. I have some 720p rips of Shrek2 and fight club for example that are not being pushed out at the right resolution. On my main monitor of course they look fantastic but are being scaled at the projector because something is changing the resolution. Thanks in advance for your help. I know there must be a million holes in my specs to fill so ask as many questions as you need!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Well, for the audio question, you will need to do two things. Connect the 3.5mm Digital jack to a coax digital connector on the receiver, which it sounds like you've already done.

Second, you have to configure the software to output via S/PDIF. This entails both enabling S/PDIF passthrough in your soundcards properties, but also in any player software you have installed. AC3Filter might also be required for DD/DTS encoded divx/xvid files. Also, please realize that without a software or hardware encoder, all 2-channel material will be send along the S/PDIF connection as PCM stereo and not DD or DTS. I have heard mention that AC3Filter can do live AC3 encoding (maybe with Winamp or some other software), but I've not used it.

Hope that helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.