AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a slight jerky motion in my dvd playback and occassionaly, once or twice a movie, a stutter for 1 or 2 seconds. Otherwise the dvd play back is great.

My sound card is an audiophile 24/96 and I do not get any sound when playing CD's.

Any thoughts.

Warren

·
Registered
4,321 Posts

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Warren, there are a couple of options for playing CD audio, and you didn't mention which you were using.

Firstly, there is a DAC (Digital To Analog Converter) chip in the DVD-ROM drive that outputs stereo analog sound from the drive - but only if you have the 4-wire analog audio cable connected from the drive to the sound card. This is the default way to play CDs - and having the cable not connected or connected incorrectly is common.

If you are attempting to use the other option, SPDIF output to either the sound card or SPDIF passthrough from the sound card to an external digital receiver, you need to have the two-wire digital sound cable installed - some DVD-ROMs don't even have such an output.

DVD movie sound would not be affected by having either or both the above cables missing, since the DVD audio files are read from the drive across the IDE or SCSI ribbon cable.

More information, please - then we can help.

Gary

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Gary,

This is true for AC97 soundcards, but Warren is using the Audiophile 2496 soundcard that does not have any internal connectors and uses DAE over the PCI bus, same as DVD.

Warren,

For DVD playback make sure that you have DMA enabled for your hard drive and DVD-ROM drive.

For CD playback you will need a player that supports digital audio extraction such as the free Siren Xpress from Sonic Foundry.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Warren,

As Cliff stated, Siren is free, and it's included in the software CD pack that came with AP24/96.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help so far.

I installed the siren software v1.0 from the software cd pack that came with the AP24/96.

I got a message as follows: The following devices may not be suitable for use with this software

d: Toshiba DVD- ROM SD M1402 1010

Interface - ATAPI MMC compatible

When I try to play a disk, the vertical bars on the right side move and the images in the boxes near the top of the display also show action.

Still no sound.

Next steps?

I am going to go to Sonic Foundry Web site, perhaps I need a more up to date version.

My DVD sound still works great.

Warren

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are the greatest.

I could not have got it going without you.

I tried version 2.3c and adjusted my settings in the maudio software as suggested in the above link and it now works great.

Thanks again

Warren

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.