AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently decided to build a HTPC, mostly for My Movies + playing music, never use it for anything else.

PC was just build, no soft installed expect for ATI drivers, My Movies and Arcsoft.

I can play DVDs in Arcsoft TMT3 but BD and HDDVD won't play. Ran the BD advisor and it says i am all ready to play HD and BD in standard.

If I put a DVD in the drive it starts and I can watch it without a problem. HD and BD just end up in TMT3 "not responding", tried PowerDVD and same result.

Here is the config, any idea on what can cause the problem?

tem List:

MB ASROCK|M3A780GXH/128M 780G RT

MEM 2Gx2|GSK F3-10666CL8D-4GB RAM

PSU ROSEWILL|RD500-2DB 500W RT

HTPC CASE MONEUAL LAB|972B BK RT

CPU AMD|PH II X3 720 BK AM3 2.8G RT -

2 x HDD 1T|WD 32M WD10EADS %

BLU BURN & HD ROM LG GGW-H20L RT

PS: despite the fact that the motherboard is rated HDCP compliant and the integrated ATI 3200 graphic ship is supposed to be able to play HD?BD I am assuming this is where the problem comes from... but not sure and would like some outside opinion before I shell another $140 for a card (Was thinking f Sapphire ATI 4870HD, thoughts?)

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
What type of BD/HD are trying to watch? Ripped content can be "different".

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howdoin /forum/post/16996779

original US region BD and HD DVD.

LG Drive firmware up to date, MB bios latest version, Vista all up to date.

Which movies have your tried?

Can you see the discs in 'My Computer'?

Can you get hold of a ripped movie to check software playback?

Download AnyDVD HD trial and see if it helps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried :

DVD: Queen of the Damned - works

HD-DVD : Batman Begins - "not responding"

BluRay : Ditrict B13 - "not responding"

All discs are recognized by the drive (if I look in Windows or in Arcsoft TMT3 or PowerDVD I see the name of the film/disc as available in the drive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
installed AnyDVD and am testing HD DVD right now (working so far).

BluRay works as well... You got to love PC manufacturers, they sell you a BD/HD drive with software to read it that don't work out of the box.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts

Quote:
You got to love PC manufacturers, they sell you a BD/HD drive with software to read it that don't work out of the box

Not the PC manufacturers at all - blame the MPAA for this one. Has nothing to do with the hardware and everything to do with the studios attempts to "protect" their property.

Glad you got it helped

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.