AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I acquired a HP Pavilion 520n (1.3ghz celeron, 512 ram, 60 GB HD) for nothing and wanted to turn it into a PC I could use to mostly browse the internet on my TV. My TV is a Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000. I bought a cheap PCI videocard that had a DVI port and says it will do up and over 1080p resolution. The video card is a ATI Radeon 7000, DDR 64MB from Sapphire.

I installed MCE 2005 Rollup 2 and all available updates. Installed the card with the CD supplied with the card. Hooked up a monitor and the TV and booted the PC up. Even though the TV will accept 1920x1080 @ 60hz, it gives me a "unsupported signal" message on the TV. The highest I can run is 1280x720 or something like that. I ran through every setting in the Catalist control center software trying to get 1080 to run, but it just wont work.

So I uninstalled the sapphire supplied driver set and downloaded the Omega drivers.. the last ones that support the radeon 7000... Same outcome.. only 720p. It actually isnt that bad, and can live with it this way.. but the overscan is horrendous! I can only see the very top of the toolbar.. and the first row of icons are split down the middle on the left side of the screen.

Tonight im going to uninstall those omega drivers and try the latest from ATI's website. But I have a feeling im going to get the same result.

So I need to be pointed in the right direction here.. either I...

1. Need a setup for that powerstrip program to reduce the oversan enough and continue to run the TV at 720p.

2. Figure out how to get the TV to accept the correct max resolution and deal with overscan from there.

3. If the video card is the problem, please recommend me a lower line PCI videocard that I will have no problems getting going. Speaking about under 100 bucks here. Big factor here is the PC itself only has a 150 watt powersupply so I really cant put anything that large in it.

4. If this PC just wont have the umph to ever correctly display on my TV.

Ive searched as much as I could.. I read alot of stuff here.. Im just not fully confident in what I find being what I need.

Thanks alot!

-Jon

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow, a Radeon 7000. That's pretty old... I'd be really surprised to see it running 1080p.

An Nvidia 7300 can be had for less than 100$. It's a more current chipset, and while it won't destroy any gaming benchmarks, it should put out 1080p. The reason I suggest looking for an Nvidia card is because I understand (though not from much personal experience) that the Nvidia control panel has a better ability to correct for overscan than ATI. Of course, with Powerstrip you could bend an ATI card to your will, but that comes with some more serious risks.

Not sure if the 150W power supply would be enough for the 7300. My guess is "maybe". Buy from somewhere with a reasonable return policy, maybe.

Dunno how much that helps, but looking at your config, the video card seems the most likely place to start.

ON THE OTHER HAND, "unsupported signal" sounds like the message you get from an XBOX 360 over VGA (EDIT: 1080p) on Sony tvs. I don't know anything about your model, but are you using VGA or DVI-HDMI? The latter might work, though going through monoprice.com for a reasonably-priced DVI-HDMI cable would mean waiting for it to ship.

·
Registered
331 Posts
What is your graphics card slot? AGP? You mentioned PCI, but I hope you mean AGP.

The 7000 doesn't support DX9, which is a requirement for MCE. You need at least a 9550 or 9600 ATI card for MCE. X1300 or X1600 would be a good new card.

Any 5700, 6200, 6600, 6800, 7300 or 7600 from Nvidia would also work.

The newer the card (X1600, 7300 or 7600) the more likely you are to be happy with the results. As you have found, new drivers don't necessarily work best with old cards.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im using a DVI-HDMI cable.

its a PCI card and the specs still say 1080p capable. I knew this was going to be a weak link, but i didnt want to buy an expensive card since it HAS to be PCI, there are no other slots on the MB.

This card was a newegg.com special.. thats why i picked it up.. didnt do too much reasearch.. saw the max resolution was above and beyond 1080p so I figured it would work.

Im guessing powerstrip will work with helping me get rid of the overscan at 720p... but im not to sure of myself to mess with it.

MCE does yell at me about the video card not being supported, but still loads and runs.. ?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update... I was behind my TV doing some house cleaning.. mostly organizing wires using velcro wire ties... but I happened to notice something on my TV where my HDMI ports are... One is a straight up HDMI port.. the other is an HDMI port with a Red & White (L/R channel audio) port. When researching my TV, I remembered people having problems with PC's connected to the plain HDMI port, but the HDMI w/ the R & W ports worked.. So I swapped out the cable, booted up my PC and was able to set it to 1920x1080.

The overscan was horrible though. So I downloaded and installed the latest drivers from ATI, hoping a setting in there would help.... but immediatlly got the "signal not supported" error on reboot. Im guessing its cuz I didnt uninstall the Omega drivers first.. but it was late so I was lazy. Ah well.

One step closer!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.