AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What OS's do people use on their HTPC? I want to build one to use only as a PVR but Windows (98/2000/XP) boot WAY too slow. Anyone use Win CE? Linux? What alternatives are there?

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Puckalicious:

___Linux doesn’t have all the HTPC tools needed and if boot times are to slow for you, don’t boot. I am not sure where you are coming from on this because sub 25 second boot times are not uncommon with today’s HW running any of latest Windows based OS’s … Just install an NT Kernel based Windows OS, never boot, and your set.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'd say it really depends on your hardware.

For example, I have some hardware that will only work in Win98 1st ed. and I still want to use it. I also like the small install size of Win 9x OS.

As far as boot time, don't expect Linux to boot faster than Win, I use Linux for everything except DVD playback.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
When I used to have a main 98SE partition I used to have Girder do a timed event and reboot the machine at 5AM every night so that the machine was always on for use but got a reboot every day....

This was great until I had a late night session with some buddies and deep into the session BAM you guessed it !!! That system was changed after that :D !!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.