AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am basically looking for a device that can stream my ripped DVDs to my CRT tv. I have been seeing all these Media Streamers like the popcorn, Lacie, WDTV, etc.... I have also toyed with doing a htpc. But all I want it for is for streaming DVD's. Im not really interested in tv tuners, or dvr support so I think a htpc is overkill. I am also using my Tivo s3 with pytivo to stream obscure file formats so support for many different files and codecs are not a big issue either for me since my Tivo has me covered on that. As good as I need at least.

Pretty much the only two things I want are as follows......

#1 - A great UI. Something like XP's Media center with the "My Movies" plug in. Or some other ui that has that kinda feel and look.

and

#2 - I need it to be able to stream the ripped VOB files as one movie (as it is done with Media Center.) Which is why I just dont use my Tivo to stream them because you have to play each VOB individually and its annoying. And no, I dont want to merge my VOB's into one big file because then I lose the option of burning them if I ever want to (and no, Im not keeping two copies of every movie either.)

So what is my best choice to go with. I hear popcorn is good, but their UI sucks. Then I here that the WD TV lists the VOBS separate just like my tivo does. Is there a simple product out there that fits those two needs I have above, or do I have to get a full blown htpc?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

Quote:
And no, I dont want to merge my VOB's into one big file because then I lose the option of burning them if I ever want to (and no, Im not keeping two copies of every movie either.)

So if your TIVO could play the vobs continuously, you wouldn't need anything, right? You would just play everything with the TIVO. And you wouldn't have a cool "Mediacenter like" interface. So which is the most important, the interface or the ability to play vobs continuously.?

My ancient Linkplayer 2 exhibits the same, annoying, 1 vob at a time, behavior. So I convert my vobs to a single mpeg with VOB2MPG or VideoReDo and play them with the Linkplayer from the crappy file/list menu. I don't keep 2 copies, but if I ever want to burn a DVD from the mpeg I only have to reauthor the VIDEO_TS folder and burn a DVD. Or if you are really concerned about a full backup, burn a copy of the DVD and then rip it to a single file.

But if you really want the eye candy interface, I would say +1 for the PopcornHour with YAMJ or similar.

BB

PS Have you considered backing up to iso images rather than vob? I'm pretty sure that PCH and the others have support for iso files now.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDonnyxX /forum/post/16951238

So can these skins be loaded into the Popcorn? Or are they stritcly for HTPC and media center?

Those UI enhancements are strictly for NMT devices (like the Popcorn Hour). Most (all?) require a program that runs on your PC to create the fancy UI pages, but since you're serving from a PC anyway, that shouldn't be much of an issue for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am using SageTV and for me the best approach was to use HTPC as a server of a media network and use media streamers in all TV points.

with this I can combine the benefits from both sides and use a nice UI of SageTV in all streamers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.