AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i have a dilema
Shuld I buy dedicated player for movies - in particular PopcornHour C200 or to buy the HTPC based on atom platform.

I was thinking about:

Pch C200 + 1.5TB drive + blue ray

or

ASUS AT5IONT-I + 4GB DDR3 + 1.5 TB Drive + blue ray

or

somthing else.....

My priorities? Good playback of

1. 720p and 1080p mkv files - this is most important for me to watch them with subtitles without frame loss

2. video streams - mainly vod.onet.pl - service based on streaming content using microsoft silveright

3. dvd playback

4. blueray disc playback

please help me decide .......

·
Registered
340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by banolka /forum/post/19612092

No i dont care about audio beatstreaming and I'm aware thath PCH will not play silveright but the rest. So what is better ?

Easiest would probably be the PCH C200, I found their new NMJ disappointing but you could use YAMJ (I manage cover art with Ember Media Manager)

I keep going back and forth from HTPC to a dedicated player - right now I prefer an HTPC

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
HTPC has a lot more expandability in what you can do. Need to go to the TNT website to watch Leverage? Easy with an HTPC. Impossible with PCH or other dedicated player.

And unless you're really crunched for money don't do an Atom based processor, get at least a Core i3 as it will handle everything with no troubles. Some Atom based systems are underpowered and have issues with some file formats or resolutions. Not saying all, but some. I would certainly spend the few extra bucks for an i3 or even an Athlon based system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THX for the suggestions I think I will go with

CPU/GPU: Core i3 540 @ 3.06GHz

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0

RAM: Kingston 2X2GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9

System HDD: OCZ SOLID SERIES SATA II 2.5" SSD 30GB

Storage HDD: Samsung 1,5 TB (HD154UI)

CASE: ITX In-Win BP 655 [200W]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts