AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will an HTPC do the same job as the iScan Pro as a line doubler/upconverter with equal or better picture quality?

·
Registered
474 Posts
maybe

·
Registered
290 Posts
If your display device can do better than 480p, then an HTPC will absolutely do WAAAYYYY better than an iScan Pro. Otherwise, the "hassle value" of most HTPC's may not be worth it.

Almost all front projectors, and some rear projection TVs can do better than 480p, and thus can benefit from an HTPC.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The manual for my Mits WD-65000 states it will do 720P. So, based upon your response It would be better to use an HTPC.

Thank you for responding,

Bob

·
Registered
271 Posts
Bob, the key concept here is this: in any fixed-pixel device such as yours, the signal which is finally used to drive the image must be in the native format of the device, in your case 1280x720.

Since the iScan outputs only 480 lines (not 720 lines), the set will have to internally rescale 480p to 720p. It may be better to avoid the double scaling and just let the set scale 480i to 720p, particularly as the TV's scaler may be newer and better than that in the iScan.

Now, if as suggested by psg, you use an HTPC or other outboard scaler to prepare a 720p signal for input to the Mits, you may get a fine result.... BUT maybe not! The Mits processing may rescale or otherwise modify the input 720p signal to a final 1280x720 matrix, and may introduce artifacts which obviate the good work done by your outboard 720p scaling. I don't know if it does this, or whether this can be bypassed if true. Hopefully others will chime in... please keep us aprised in any case.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may have mis-spoke on my prior reply. This is what the manual says:

The advanced circuitry has the ability to accept:

• Conventional video (480i)

• Progressive scan video (480p)

• Both 1080i and 720p HDTV images

• VGA, S-VGA, and XGA computer graphics

So which one is considered the native resolution?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
290 Posts
The wd-65000 specs say 1280x720, and it has a with a PC (VGA) input as well. Go for the HTPC.

'Nuff said.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It does indeed have a fixed 1280x720 display, and either up-converts or down-converts as appropriate, all inputs (except PC) to 720 lines. The specs say the PC inputs are ( http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/PDFs/dlpspecs.pdf ):

PC Display Modes

Input Format Display Format 1 Display Format 2

VGA (640 x 480/60Hz) 640 x 480 853 x 640

SVGA (800 x 600/60Hz) 800 x 600 --------

XGA (1024 x 768/60Hz) 853 x 640 1024 x 684 (overscanned)

I have found no way on the set or in the manual, to switch between these two "formats". Additionally, I HAVE successfully fed a 1280x720 input signal, which it seems to have no problem with, however it overscans on both the horizontal and vertical, and you lose a little of the sides, and top and bottom. 800x600 displays centered on the screen with black borders all around, and 1024x768 displays overscanned vertically, with black borders on the left and right.

Using Powerstrip, I experimented with correcting the overscan, and as the scan rates changed, the display did adjust. But after a couple of seconds sitting still, it would "auto-switch" back to the overscan condition.

Does anyone know how to switch between the Format 1 &2, and even more importantly, a way around this auto-switching? I have an HTPC hooked up using the display as both my Windows "monitor", and as the display for the MyHD HDTV tuner output both in a window, and full-screen.

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.