AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been entrusted with designing a home theater for my father-in-law. I have a fairly generous budget to work with and while I'm quite computer savvy and have some experience with HTPC apps beyond MCE, I want to get some feedback on whether it's a mistake to try to setup a DVD jukebox with touchscreen control for someone other than myself.

Here is my intended 2.35:1 Constant Height Setup

- Panasonic AE-900 or Sony-HS51 Successor

- Prismasonic H600-R motorized Anamorphic lens

- Carada 2.35:1 Screen, 136" diagonal Brilliant White

- HTIQ Motorized 2-way Screen Masking System for 136"(Hoping for HTPC Plugin Soon)

- Marantz SR8500 THX 7.1 Receiver or Yamaha 4600

- Ascend Acoustics 7.1 Setup with 340 series Speakers

HTPC:

- Zoom Player, Dscaler?, FFDShow?

- Started out with MainLobby Products (400 DVD Changer Support) but I think maybe Meedio would be easier to setup along with other plug-in apps.

- Girder

- Uneed TouchScreen HTPC Case

- ELO 15" Touchscreen

- What other Software do I need?

Anyway, I just want some feedback on reliability of an HTPC outside the confines of my own home. Am I crazy to expect even with alot of work that an HTPC could be reliable?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Maintaining an HTPC can be quite difficult, especially if you intend to attach it to the internet (security issues, chance of spyware getting in the system while surfing, etc.). Not to mention different drivers, videocards, sound options, stuttering issues, refresh rate issues, etc.

Since you are building an HTPC for someone else, and it doesn't look like you are building a PVR solution, I would just go with a DVD player and an MCE remote. You can always add an HTPC later, but for your customer I would stick with something simple and requires little or no maintenance - it will make you look good - very important when dealing with in-laws. :)

Owning an HTPC is like owning a race car - it can perform great, but you need to spend a lot of time keeping it in good working order.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the recommendation. You are correct, a PVR is not necessary though I may do music. My main problem is that if I go 2.35:1 constant height I will definitely need a scaler of some kind and then some way of controlling the motorized lens and screen masking. I was already planning on adding in a 400 disk DVD changer as a backup unit, the sonyCX995V upconverting for MSRP 399.95. I wonder if that one will work with Main Lobby.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.