Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me again

I've been messing with my computer/htpc and my XG110 and am finding it a bit of a pain and very user "unfriendlly". Maybe this post does not belong here but I am looking for an unbiased opinion and I don't want the hard core HTPC guys giving me the gears:D

So seriously how much BETTER is an HTPC over a scaler or quadrupler. I've tried a doubler...not good enough!!

Is the tradeoff for convenience really worth a slightly better image.

I am by no means a videophile so I'm not looking for the last drop of detail, but I don't want to "waste" the quality of the projector either.

Help!!!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I've got my HTPC running with no problems. I'm using WinXP, a M-Audio card, Radeon video card, and the Theatertek DVD software. With my Philips Pronto the integration is seamless. But I'm an IT person so computers are second nature. I initially looked at the Focus Quadscan before I decided to go the HTPC route. Check out the Powerbuys section. AVS was selling refurb Quadscan Pros for $499. It's not the latest version but it does line tripling and quadrupling and would be much better than the IScan for your XG.

·
Banned
959 Posts
I am not a computer geek, but i do have a nice htpc. It really depends on what you want the box to do. when i'm watching dvd's i like the htpc. if you want to do other things and you want something that's easy to use you may want a scaler. i could be wrong because i have'nt messed with them in a year, but i'm pretty sure a good htpc would toast a quad or crystal image. with help from someone on the board (KD4 built mine), you could probably do quite well for well under 1k. then of course you could also buy a rock! oh, sorry. i can't help myself lately.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I went through the whole HTPC experience. What I found out is, it is not so tough if you first know that you will not be able to get rid of micro stutters. I spent weeks working on the problem before finding that out. Putting the computer together is like building anything. It has to go together in a certain way. Just copy a know working system.

I do not know if it going to be better than a scaler or a quadrupler, but a computer allows alot more things to be done then just better resolution.

Deron

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I do know and if you don't mind the interface, the HTPC picture with a Radeon card is superior to a quadscan.

Terry

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I agree with Terry, and I didn't find the Quad I had to be any more user friendly than an HTPC. If you are going to go with cheapo scaling, I'd really go cheapo and get one of the viewsonic scalers. BUT they MUST have a macrovision buster to be any good as macrovision screws them completely

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O.k O.k I'll keep plugging away at the HTPC but I am wondering if the M-Audio Audiophile will pass DTS to my processor. I haven't gone so far as to buy one yet but I'm kinda diggin' round.

Thanx for the replies

Alun

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you are toying with an HTPC, I assume you are interested primarily in dvd's and not other display sources. If this is true, why not consider a

PD-1000 from Projection Systems. It's a dvd player/video processor. The video signal stays in the digital domain prior to and during processing so no loss of resolution caused by digital to analog to digital conversions. It is plug and play with the quality of an HTPC and none of the problems.

I'm using 960p with my XG135LC and the picture is terrific. Go to www.projectorspecs.com for more information. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If your looking for a nice scalar for an inexpensive price you might want to look at the IPS4000Q that NEC sold to complement the XG's. I've got 2 IPS's that I picked up for $500-$700.00 and am quite happy with their performance. The are NOT up to the level of a Faj or the like but are better then the IScan and the like.

Let me know and I'll send you some screen shots

I've only used them with my twin XG135's and I can claim anything outside of them. I will say by using the QUAD it really brightened up the picture. Now I don't have to crank them so high.

I've done the HTPC route and I still find the IPS4000Q looks better and is VERY easy to use.

Give me a email if you need more info...

John Fischer

Houston, TX

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I use a Zoltrix Nightingale Pro 6 sound card and I get DD and DTS out of it from the WinDVD using Zoom Player so I have easy overlay controls too.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now you really got me wondering Mr. Fischer!! Looks better than HTPC??? For real?

I'm curious do these quadruplers do a form of scaling? Or is this all together different? Does the computer scale or quadruple?

GN2 I sent you an e-mail just now. I like the price of the Zoltrix but am leaning towards M-Audio to record my Records :D

Thanx Alun

·
Registered
22 Posts
The IPS4000Q won't do scaling or the like. It will just double or quad the

the picture so other conversion is done...

If you are looking at doing 1080P or the like then I would suggest

a HTPC and then YES!!! it will look better depending on the source.

Once you get into SDI out from the DVD to SDI in into the HTPC then the picture is GREAT!!! I have this running and it is Nothing but spectacular. Unfortunately I need to make it easier for the kids and wife to work...

As far as processing the digital sound I haven't done that yet. I let my Meridian decode all the sound from the digital out from the HTCP.

Again HTPC will depend on the capture card...noise, etc for a quality picture. I didn't have stellar quality until I went the SDI route. Until then and for the wife and kids they use the IPS4000q's and are quite happy!!

Also SDI will cost you... My kenwood SDI DVD unit was 2K the PC card was $400.00..

The cost for the IPS4000Q vs quality isn't bad and that was my point. For the cost it works well. A 4K HTPC will beat it any day if its done right...

Hope this helps...

John

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
If you want a PC scaler for your DVD, get a Cinematrix modified DVD player. It is attached to the MPEG chip and deinterlaces w/ a Faroudja DCDI and scales w/a computer chip. (I don't know if it is a G-force or a Radeon). You can select any resolution you want and preset 8 so all you have to do is select which setting.

I am sending my DirecTivo in to them in 2 weeks, as they are currently backlogged. If you can wait that long, I will report back how is looks. The mod is $900, so an HTPC may be about the same price, but the interface is much easier this way. Output is RGBHV via BNC and they add an SPDI/F audio output.

Mike

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you John and Mike for your valuable input. John I'm not sure what you mean by SDI.

Mike the cinematrix mod interests me can you point out a website for more information. It sounds as though you are suggesting that you send your existing dvd player to them and they perform some mod's? Wow not a bad idea.

Alun

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I use both a QuadScan and a HTPC (PIII 450 with Radeon 7500 vid card and Hercules Fortissimo II sound card for DTS and DD) for my projector. I pretty much have my computer dialed in but it STILL occasionally has jerky pans...:( where the Quadscan has smooth pans. The HTPC does produce a better picture though. I've also tried my Athlon 1800, and guess what, it is not perfect either...:(

Mike,

Let us know how the Cinematrix modification works out. It looks very interesting and promising.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I picked up one of the QuadScan Pro rack mount B-stocks from AVS, you can not go wrong for the money...it does have its glitches too though. :( Nothing too major. Hello from Edmonton as well....:)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The main reason that I bought the Quadscan was to scale my DTS Laser Discs...I was not about to give up my collection. I will use it to scale DVD and Lasers since I found the picture quite pleasing using component connections from my DVD player....

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
hificanuck

why dont you take me up on borrowing my HTPC? You're more than welcome to use it. It's easier to use than a dvd player: push power, wait about 1 minute, put in DVD, movie starts with proper audio and overlay settings, when your done the movie press the power button and she all shuts down. It is possible.

You can have it for a couple of months, its of no use to me.

Wes

PS Bradad, interested in an Alberta HT group?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.