AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like within the next few months there will be options for new HD DVD players using DVI output. The Sanyo looks promising at this stage.

I'm wondering what the thoughts are on whether the current good HTPC's will become "old-hat" once the new DVD players start coming through?

Understandibly, I'm somewhat hesitant to spend $2.5K (AUD) on a HTPC that isn't much better than a $900 DVI DVD Player.

Comments Please.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Those DVD players are not real hi-def players as hi-def DVD are not on the market yet, they do what a HTPC is already superior to them in every way "scale".

peace

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The Samsung is only DVI output. It is not High Def.

The current state of HD DVD is this: The DVD consortium has agreed on a "standard", but already a competing group has said they will continue to develop their own standard. So we have competing formats.

The MPAA is also bickering amongst themselves over copy protection, wanting an encryption method that does not even exist yet.

As far as I know, no manufacturer or studio has announced an HD player in development.

IOW, if we see HD DVD anytime in the next two years, it would be a miracle.

HD DVD DOES exist NOW, however. There are DVD's that are being released in WM9 format, which should give 720p rez. You do need an HTPC for it though.

So your choices are... wait a couple of years and spend over $1000 for something that is only vapor now, or spend a little bit more and get near-HD PQ with the proper equipment and software. And get a great PC that can be used for other things as well.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys.

My current PC could do the job nicely:

P4 3.06GHZ

512MB RAMBUS PC1066

9700 Pro Atlantis

Audigy2

However.......I don't want a BIG PC (read: standard ATX) in my lounge, and have been looing at the Shuttle XPC (with P4, DDR and Radeon), but that would mean building a new PC from scratch, ONLY for HTPC, and I'm having issues justifying another PC, despite being a fun project.

Do I really need to have the 9700 Pro, or would a lesser card do just as well for Home Theatre? From what I understand, you would only need the higher end cards for gaming?

Cheers.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it would be neat to be able to record HDTV, however most TV is dull, so I would only really see a positive in buying HD DVD. Looks like it may be a year before that happens, so I think they have left themsleves with somewhat of a limited market.

Personally, I'll be sitting on the fence.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You don't necessarily need the top end 9700 for it. It all depends on what you want to do with the card and your budget.

In my case I am getting the AIW 7500 for $182cdn since it will work well for PVR and DVD playback. Sure it's not the best but it will work and I can still play the occasional game on it too. Considering the 9700 AIW card is $600cdn it wasn't a hard choice.

·
Registered
246 Posts
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There are DVD's that are being released in WM9 format, which should give 720p rez. You do need an HTPC for it though.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Where can I get one?

Please let me know...

Rodrigo

·
Registered
748 Posts
When the Samsung HD-931 comes out (hopefully in June) I plan on picking one up immediately and doing some A-B comparisons. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Rodrigo - a few threads here already. Terminator 2 is being released with a WM9 version in June.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You can get a Bravo D1 DVD player with DVI/HDCP output now ($200US). I don't have one, but everything written about indicates its DVI output is really nice, but its analog video sucks.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The Bravo still outputs 720, while my HTPC outputs 1360 :D

Still, that would be the player of choice with a Holo card setup.

·
Registered
861 Posts
The Polaroid DVD-DVR 700 is said to be released before the T2 disc comes out and allegedly uses WM9 for MSRP of $299. DVI? HDCP? Don't know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.